Hi Chris,

It sounds like you are doing everything you can.  The report from the doctor sounds like he/she knows what they are doing.

I hope others have some ideas for you.  I only know to tell you to hope that this IS hemobartonella.  If it is it can be cured.

I don't know that I would bother with more leukemia tests right away.  The doctor is right that it is either hiding in the marrow, or Arlo should respond to the doxy.  I hope that's what it turns out to be.  If it is nonregenerative anemia there's not a lot the doctor can do.  A lot of people give iron supplements for the anemia, but others say they don't help if it's nonregenerative.  That would be something you might try.  Just a good quality vitamin might help a little.

Please keep us posted, and I hope Arlo recovers on the regimen you've started.

tonya

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello Group:

I just got back from the vet where my 11 month old cat "Arlo" was
given a blood transfusion and a battery of tests.  The prognosis is
not good..PROBALLY FelV ...so I wanted to get some feedback from the group ....if
there is anything else I can try if the meds I am giving don't work --
I am all ears....I really want my little guy to make it.

His PCV/TS (on presentation) was 7%/8.0 g/dL
His PCV/TS (AFTER THE TRANSFUSION) IT was . : 10%/6.6 g/dL.

He came back negative for FelV/FIV , his kidneys are fine, so is his
white blood cell count.   But the Vet believes that he does have FelV, it's just hiding out in the bone marrow.  They have given me meds to treat him for IMHA and Hemobart but nothing specifically for  FelV.

What about interferon?

What about Immuno regulin?

Please help me sort this out.  I am bringing him back to the vet on Monday or Tuesday and would like to have a plan or at least more info then I have now.

Here's the summary of the Vets prognosis:

"Presentation: On presentation, Arlo was quiet, but alert and responsive. MM - Pale, CRT - unable to get. Heart Rate - 200 bpm, Resp Rate - 50 bpm, Temp - 99.8 F, Blood pressure - 115 mmHg. Arlo was tachycardic with a graqe IIIIVI heart murmur was auscultated. Lungs auscltated clear and eupneic. His pulses were fair and urine was staining his perineum. The remainder of his physical exam was within normal limits.

Because of the mild clinical signs relative to the severity of the
anemia, this anemia is most likely chronic in nature. The CBC results
and reticulocyte count reveal that the. anemia is non-regenerative.
Even though the FelV/FIV test was negative, this doesn't rule out FelV
as a cause of the chronic non-regenerative anemia. Other causes of a
chronic anemia include red blood cell parasites such as hemobartonella
(typically regenerative). We highly recommend that a bone marrow
aspirate and cytology be performed in order to definitively rule out
FeIV. As this was not an option (for financial reasons), we plan to
treat for a potential hemobartonella infection with Doxycycline (an
antibiotic). There is no effective treatment for Feline Leukemia Virus.

Another potential cause of the anemia is IMHA (immune-mediated
hemolytic anemia) which results when the body attacks its own red
blood cells (RBCs). This is a less likely differential as bloodwork
results usually show a regenerative response in spite of the
destruction of red blood cells. Additionally, bilirubin levels are
commonly increased with this syndrome. The hemolysis is also usually
evident when performing the PCV/TS. There was no evidence of hemolysis
at this time. Treatment of IMHA involves steroid therapy to suppress
the immune systein and prevent its attack on the RBCs. If Arlo does
have hemobartonellosis, steroid therapy could .potentially make it
worse. .

While the heart murmur is most likely secondary. to the anemia, a
primary cardiac cause cannot be ruled out without chest radiographs
+1- echocardiogram. The murmur improved after administering the blood
transfusion. Chest and abdominal x-rays would also help to  evaluate
for lymph node enlargement and/or organ enlargement (common in feline
leukemia virus). .

Discharge Instructions:
Please schedule a recheck appointment either through your regular
veterinarian or through the medicine service at FA VS in 2-3 days to
evaluate his response to therapy. This may entail performing repeat
bloodwork to evaluate the anemia. If he becomes acutely much more
lethargic or depressed or inappetant and his gums appear pale, please
bring him back immediately as he may require another blood transfusion.

1. Doxycycline (Vibramycin) (5 mglml solution): Please give 6 ml by
mouth once daily
for the next 8 days. A dose was already given intravenously today.
2. BaytriI (68 mg tablet): Please give 'l4 tablet by mouth once daily
for 14 days.
3. Prednisone (5 mg tablet): Please give 1 tablet by mouth twice daily
indefinitely.

Response to therapy will be re-evaluated. If IMHA is the cause of the
anemia, Arlo will require long term steroid therapy."

Please if there is anything that the Vet missed or that I can try I
would be so grateful.

Chris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Arlo's Dad"    .