Hi Sandra,
  I'm going to answer your vets specific questions:

>>> Bailey's HCT was 19% when we got his bloodwork results on January 3rd, we started the epogen on January 6th and his HCT went down to 15% in a few weeks, but was at 23% when we last checked it on Feburary 5th, this is a direct result from using the epogen, Bailey's HCT was continually going down, and I am positive without the epogen he wouldn't not be alive today. >>>  she asked if his anemia is regenerative or non regenerative, Bailey's anemia is non regenerative.

<<< is Belinda a vet??. We descarted, haemobartonella, kidneys, and is sure that is the bone narrow>>>  no just a person who has spent hours and hours and hours researching, learning from other peoples experiences and who has a vet who also researches and consults with other veterinary experts like Dr Ogilvie DVM, and Dr Lappen DVM.  I belong to a group made up of people who all have cats with anemia, most because of kidney problems but a few with FeLV positive kitties or from auto immune related reasons.

And as far as I and my vet are both concerned, without either epogen or blood transfusions Bailey will die in a very short time, so we have nothing loose in trying this and EVERYTHING to lose, so I saw no reason not to try epogen and it is helping.  Bailey hemocrit is going up and he is still alive!!

The bone marrow aspirate told us what was causing Bailey's anemia, and how to treat it best, without knowing what was causing it we wouldn't know the best way to treat it.  Anemia can be auto immune related, or from a GI bleed or as you know hemobartonella and we had to know exactly what was causing Bailey's anemia and the aspirate told us that.  His diagnosis is myeloid dysplastic anemia, which FeLV positives do get, it is a specific anemia caused because the FeLV virus is replicating in the bone marrow so even though his kidney's are perfect and producing
a normal amount os erythropoietin, the FeLV virus in the bone marrow is not allowing the red cells to mature and be send out into the blood stream.  It is a non regenerative anemia, and we are treating it by surpressing his immune system to try and put the FeLV virus back into remission.  He is getting prednisolone 20mg split into two 10mg doses a day, epogen 3 times a (Friday, Sunday and Wednesday) week, he is getting winstrol because he had pretty bad muscle wasting, he has a feeding tube and gets 200cc's of ID a day supplemented with pet tinic (for iron), vitamin B complex, folic acid these 3 things are necassary in the production of red blood.  He gets fluids everyday to keep him hydrated, and in his food he gets nutrical, salmon oil, lysine and Mega C Plus.  He is currently getting baytril for a bronchial infection.  He still doesn't have alot of energy but he is getting up and moving around more, he is having better days more often and that makes everything we are doing worth it.  We will do blood work on the 6th of March to see if his HCT is getting better still.  I will be happy to let you know if you'd like.

I don't remember if 11% is lower than the last time you told me Tabbs HCT, it seems I remember it being 10%??   Bailey's started at 19% on the first blood test that originally told us he was anemic on January 3rd, I started epogen right away within a few days and from that time until we did the bone marrow aspirate it went down to 15% even while he was getting epogen, but then it started going up and two weeks ago was 23%.  I'm hoping it is still going up and will be better on the 6th when we do bloodwork again. Friday the 3rd of March will be the start of Bailey's 8th week of epogen.

FeLV positives can get different types of anemia and the bone marrow aspirate helps narrow it down.  Here are some links on feline anemia:

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00043.htm

http://maxshouse.com/Oncology/feline_lymphoma_and_leukemias.htm

Dr Ogilvie is a leading expert in feline cancers and with FeLV related anemia's.
--
 Belinda
Happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties ...
http://www.bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candle Light Service
http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

HostDesign4U.com  (affordable hosting & web design)
http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs (non-profit web sites)
http://bmk.bemikitties.com