Belinda,

   A few thoughts. I have never heard of pred causing low energy-- usually it is the opposite. However, too much steroids over a long period can sometimes cause something called Cushings Disease in humans and dogs-- it did with my dog Fern. Muscle wasting and lethargy can both be symptoms, as well as joint swelling and tenderness.  Cats are much less prone to this, but I think it might happen in very rare cases. However, didn't these symptoms predate your putting him on the pred?

   I hate to mention it, but lymphoma in the brain does not necessary show up in blood work or anywhere else. I had no idea Ginger was even sick until two days before she died. Though she was extremely energetic and did not have any muscle wasting either, but I think it can depend on where in the brain it is. Usually, though, I think there are symptoms like she had-- walking in circles, seeming off-balance, before or instead of something systemic like muscle wasting.

   If you do not find anything with the ultrasound, I want to make another plug for trying I-R. Dr. Lees, who wrote one of the articles on it, says he uses it on positive cats who come in thin and anemic and without energy and it often gets them back to feeling normal and having normal blood work.

   I know you want to get a diagnosis, and I hope the ultrasound is useful, but I hope he doesn't have cancer.
Michelle