Hello All,

    I never did get around to posting Pekoe's blood test results from 2 weeks ago.  He had a recheck just yesterday as well.  The first set of numbers are from Feb. 22, the numbers in ( ) are the normal ranges, and the second set of numbers are from Mar. 8 -

WBC - 7.3 (Normal = 4.2 - 13) 6.6
RBC - 5.0 (N = 6.2 - 10.6) 5.0
Hb - 99 (N= 93 - 153) 101
PCV - 29% (N= 28 - 49%) 31%
MCV - 59 (N= 39 - 52) 62
MCH - 20 (N= 13 - 17) 20
MCHC - 336 (N= 300 - 344) 325
RDW - 19.8 (N= 14 - 17) 18.7
Platelets - 18 (N= 93 - 514) 12 (most platelets are shift in nature)
MPV - 17.5 (N= 8 - 21) 22.4
T.S. Protein - 81 (N= 60 - 80) 81

Reticulocyte Count - Retics % - 0.1 (Feb. 22) - 0.2 (Mar. 8)
                              - Abs. # - 4.98 (N= <60) - 10.2

    He's been on the higher dose of Prednisone (20 mg./day) for 10 days now, and has also had Interferon Alpha 1ml./day X 7 days (then off X 7days, etc.).  The Internal Medicine guy that our vet spoke to said that it can take as much as 6 wks. on the higher dose of Prednisone before you see any substantial improvement in the numbers (if you're going to).  The statement regarding the platelets being "shift in nature" - our vet says that means he is producing platelets, but that they're big ones.
    Pekoe continues to do quite well clinically.  Still licking concrete but not quite as much.  So, all in all, we're counting our blessings so to speak.  We're in the process of gathering the necessary info for the Virbagen Omega Interferon, so see if it's something we can afford to do.
    My thoughts are with each of you who are caring for your ailing sweethearts, and those of you who have lost a beloved friend.

Marlene
Pekoe & Angel Digby