I have hard wood, and it takes a LOT of water to make it buckle. It's got a finish on it, and yes, the claws racing around the house *does* scratch it up. It's superficial scratches, but then who wants to have their hard wood re-varnished (well finished) every couple of years. Wonder about those people at Lowes though - we're talking SOAKED with water to make it buckle.. Course if you want something impenetrable - ceramic tile.

Gloria