Hee, hee!  I know what you mean about doing it yourself!  With internet
access, I have just enough "do-it-yourself" knowledge to make me
dangerous... ;)  I, too, embarked on a toilet fixer-uper...basically,
the toilet was rocking so I figured, "How hard can it be to fix?"  BTW,
you can replace the "fix" in that last sentence with just about anything
else I've tried:  lay tile?  install laminate flooring?  replace ceiling
fixtures?  install electric wall sconces?  put in new sinks?  :)

Anyway, a simple "fixer-uper" with the toilet turned into having to
replace the entire gasket which turned into having to buy a hammer drill
and cement to afix the gasket because we have cement sub-flooring!  It
took a whole d*mn weekend, but I fixed the rock, darn it!  :)

As for the sub-flooring for the tile, we didn't have to do anything to
ours as it was already pretty level...I know you can buy some kind of
cement to spread over low spots...and you can also buy sheets of some
kind of sub-flooring if the floor is really bad, but I'm not sure how to
install those!  The video, I think, covers most of that!  Our kitchen
and bathrooms had that vinyl sheet flooring (very, very old judging by
the pattern).  :)  The video actually recommended just tiling over any
old vinyl flooring as the glue underneath could have asbestos.  So we
just pulled up the shiny part and tiled right over the old glue!

"But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be
unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world; You
become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed..." --Antoine de
Saint-Exupéry

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know
each other.  If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what
you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys." --Chief Dan
George