Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 02:14:18 -0500
From: "Kerry MacKenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pookie has gone. Horribly mishandled by clinic
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>

Belinda,
Can you please add my darling negative foster kitty Pookie to
the CLS.
Pookie was euthanized on Monday March 27 (read on for the way
this was mishandled by the clinic, which will haunt me for the
rest of my life).
Pookie was 16 or 17 and had chronic renal failure. He had also
been deaf all his life--he was white with blue eyes, and
apparently white cats with blue eyes are often deaf. I took him
to the animal hospital associated with the shelter on Monday
morning as his breathing seemed labored and he didn't seem to
want to eat (he ate from my fingers in the end) or drink. I
fully expected to take him home again.
A terrible thing happened at the clinic. Even though I remained
in the waiting area of the clinic and had even told the intake
receptionist when she asked if it was a drop-off that I was not
going anywhere, the vet euthanized Pookie without telling me.
He apparently had tumors and fluid on the lungs. (Obviously I
never saw the X-rays either.)
I don't have to explain to anyone on this list how that felt.
That I wasn't there to hold and comfort him in his ultimate
time of need--even though I was just feet away--will haunt me
forever.
I wrote a strong letter to the clinic owners the next day,
copying the shelter CEO (PAWS), and wrote a second letter today
answers.
Pookie was a wonderful little guy, bearing his illness and his
subQs with fortitude and dignity. He had had a hard life. His
guardian, a domestic violence victim, had fled their home last
summer with Pookie. She and Pookie lived in a car for some
time; it was so hot that she was buying ice bags to keep them
both cool. She found her way to a women's shelter, but as they
wouldn't take pets, he was transferred to Paws. An observant
volunteer noticed he was withdrawn and pushed the shelter
director to get him fostered with me (apparently it wasn't
straightforward--lot of bad feeling between the volunteer and
the director). I am so glad that she did that. Pookie was a joy
to have around. I was very concerend about my cats bullying
him--he was skin and bone and must have weighed about 5 or 6
lb--but he soon ruled the roost in our house using brain, since
he no longer had the benefit of brawn, and had even young thug
Tiger whipped into shape within days.
The last night he soent here, Sunday, he slept, for the first
time, curled around my head, with his little paws gripping my
hair. He also had this cute little habit of licking my hands
and arms. Although I had the privilege of sharing my home with
Pookie for only 5 months (apart from a short break when he went
back to his original guardian--it didn't work out) he was the
most physically affectionate and loving of all my cats. I loved
the little fellow dearly and miss him very much. For such a
little fellow he truly has left a huge gap.
Kerry