Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 11:22 PM
Subject: I need your help

Dear all
I'll try to make this as brief/concise as possible.
Because of what happened with Pookie, Paula Fasseas, the founder/owner of the shelter, PAWS, called me. I would never normally have had a chance to speak to her---she's a society high-flier who owns banks (yup, you read that right) and started up PAWS just a few years ago when her small daughter suggested doing something for animals.
Pookie wasn't positive, but at some point in our conversation she mentioned leukemia in passing.
Now, PAWS is building a 7-million dollar state of the art shelter in Chicago, with adoption suites (and much more space I've heard given to dogs than cats). I had also heard from 2 reliable sources that this shelter was NOT going to have space for FeLV cats which saddened and sickened me. All this money and effort, and no support for FeLV kitties.
I kept thinking I should write to Paula Fasseas.
So when *leukemia* came up in the phone call, this was a never-to-be-repeated chance.
I asked her if there was to be an annex for FeLV cats in the new facility letting her know that I had had 6 FeLV cats at one point and they have a special place in my heart. I was expecting her to say no. But, she said that there was an 8x16 room they could probably use for that... !
And we then got talking a bit about FeLV and I explained why they *should* be included in the new shelter.
She got quite animated and enthused about the idea, and I said I'd send her this wonderful website address (which i already did).
However, yesterday it occurred to me that i should send a PS with some brief case histories from you wonderful people, to illustrate in a very real way why FeLV cats should be given a chance the same as other cats.
As an example, my statement will prob say something like:
"I took in a colony of 6 cats, 5 of whom tested positive. Four of them, Caramel, Levi, Flavia and Snowball, kittens when I got them, enjoyed quality lives for between 1-2 years, playing and roughhousing and grooming and cuddling and enjoying their food and treats like all kittens do.They loved to play ping pong in the middle of the night--I was frequently wakened by the thud-thud against the door!  Mickey is still going strong, and cuddles and plays with Momcat, who incidentally is and retested negative. Kerry M"
If any of you--particularly those of you whose cats have lived longer, could email me a brief description with their names, ages, and also whether you mix too--I'll compile them and send them on. Please note I may edit for space so she can read them quickly.
I got the impression Paula Fasseas didn't know a whole lot about FeLV but that she was very very open to knowing more, and in educating the public--she talked enthusiastically about doing that at the shelter. I said that if I could help in any way I would.
This is SUCH a great opportunity, and I'd like to make the most of it, and I feel it would really really help if I can send her brief real-life examples, from my FeLV-list friends, of FeLV kitties living quality lives!
Thanks in advance!!!!! Kerry M.