Hideyo, when Ginger had a bad head cold after her dental surgery last year, she would not eat at all due to her nose being stuffed up. When that cleared, she ate.  I gave her some Triaminic (the most simple formula, which is orange)-- .2 (point 2, not 2) ml of it. It really cleared her congestion and helped her eat.  I would also give him lysine in his food, or mixed into baby food, or syringed if he won't eat at all.  Have you tried the liver shake?

The other thing that really, really helped Ginger get over that bad URI was immuno-regulin shots. She got 2 of them IV, 3 days apart. I did 1 ml, which is what Dr. lees who wrote that article recommended, and she got bad side effects for about an hour including shaking and high fever (106), but then she got so much better. I have read that a very small percentage of cats get these side effects from I-R, and I gave it to Patches with no side effects. But others have said to start with .5 ml instead of 1 ml just in case.

I am not sure how steroids are on the kidneys or if dex is a good thing for CRF. Let us know if you find anything out on that.

Sending prayers and love,
Michelle