Thanks for the helpful websites.  I am actually a nurse, so could probably get the supplies needed from work and this makes me more comfortable even considering doing the procedure, but our four-legged friends are very different than humans!  So I appreciate seeing how easy (if Allie would stay still!) it is do for a cat.  I will have to talk to my vet about doing it at home if Allie needs fluids again (the vet seems very willing to work with me an let me do things which is a big help- Allie hates going to the vet and being admitted to the hospital!)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Sub-Q fluids. That's the user friendly terminology for subcutaneous
fluids. They use a big needle attached to an IV type bag, they just give the fluid
under the skin rather than in a vein. You can use either lactated ringers solution,
or saline solution, personally, I would go with saline, as it's got less in it, and
is less apt to cause any reactions.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/cat_fluids.asp (here's a webpage that shows the
procedure, the third method is the one I have always seen used, and the most common
in the USA)
http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm (here's a DYI instructions from the chronic renal
failure website, for learning how to do it yourself at home)
http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm (more home sub-q fliud
techniques with pictures)

Phaewryn (was Jenn, changed name)
http://ucat.us
http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Adopt a cat from Little Cheetah (UCAT) Cat Rescue:
http://ucat.us/adopt.html
PLEASE DONATE TO THE TANGLE FUND:
Tangle is a cat in Greece that was severely injured when someone wrapped wire around his neck to strangle him,
Little Cheetah Cat Rescue is raising funds to bring Tangle to Vermont to find him a good home!
http://ucat.us/tangle-fund.html
DONATE: We could really use a power saw (for construction), a digital camera (for pictures), and more towels!
Checked by AVG Free Edition.