Susan,
I've never done the Petsmart/Petco adoption day things, (except as a volunteer for a rescue group). I'd never put my guys through it, and NONE of my angels-at-home-scared-to-death-demons-away would show well at something like that. I had to laugh about your housecleaning chores before people show up. My house is such a wreck most of the time. The litter boxes are clean, but the bathroom is another story! I've got all those barking dogs to contend with too. You're right, there's nothing easy about rescue, (adoption is the hardest part for me). I prayed to the universe to please send forever homes directly after rescues, but apparently no one is listening :) .

It sounds like you could have used my help with that puppy last year! Don't give up on dogs just yet. You should think about taking in a geriatric that has found themselves homeless through no fault of his own. Sorry, I can't help myself. You should see me on the street. I've been known to force my phone number on people who seem like good home candidates and have unwittingly engaged in conversations about their pets with me!

Susan Hoffman wrote:

Thanks. Adoptions are hard work. I call in-home adoptions cocktails parties without the cocktails. I feel like I'm constantly receiving visitors at a time when I would like to curl up with a good book and maybe take a nap. And I am picky, do a lot of screening. The process requires daily effort. There are a lot of times when I think it would just be easier to stop dealing with adoptions and just keep the ones who are here. But I know there are a lot of cats I could not take in if I did that. (Could not do it with dogs. One week with one puppy last year cured me of any thought of having a dog. And started me on the way to ripping up carpets and innstalling laminate flooring.)