One more thing...  If you do end up putting Ziggy on abx, add a probiotics to his food at the same time.  Health food stores carry them and sometimes kitties will eat plain yogurt on a plate or mixed in their food as well.

Nina wrote:
Hi Niki,
I know it's scary when our babies aren't feeling well.  Try not to panic.  You're on top of it, your taking Ziggy to the vet today and hopefully they'll figure out what is going on, treat it, and help him get better very soon.  I would suggest to your vet to take additional blood samples at the same time.  That way if the first test doesn't indicate what the problem is, they won't have to draw blood a second time.  You might also ask the vet about prescribing Interferon A.  Whether it helps or not is not conclusive, but it always seemed to make my kids feel better and it can't hurt.  Lot's of people feel Transfer Factor helps boost their immune systems too.  I use the stress formula when someone isn't feeling well.

It really is important for you to remain calm.  Ziggy will pick up on your dread and it will make the vet visit more difficult for him.  Will your vet allow you to stay with him when they draw blood or do whatever tests they feel are necessary?  Tell Ziggy what will be happening, (imagine it in your mind as you convey with words what they will be doing), reassure him that everyone will do their best to treat him kindly and with dignity.  That you are going to figure out what is making him feel crummy and fix it!  Grace had pica/anemia symptoms off and on for a very long time.  We never found out for sure what was going on, my Internist treated for Hemobart, (blood parasites), with Doxycycline even though the test was neg, (it's notorious for not showing up).  Grace always felt better after just a few days on that particular abx.  Since he's got diarrhea too, would it be possible to bring a fresh stool sample in to the vet as well?  Get as much of it as you can, (put it in the fridge to keep it fresh).

My prayers are with you and Ziggy, let us know what the vet has to say as soon as you can,
Nina

Nicholena Rushton wrote:
Hello all,

I know that it has been some time since I wrote anything although I have been keeping up to date by reading the postings each day.  I want to say that all of you who have lost fur babies since the last time I wrote you are always in my prayers and thoughts.  I do have a reason for writing this though and I hope it is nothing to get overly concerned about but I just do not know and hope someone can help me.  My furkid Ziggy is now a little over a year old and just in the past week or so he has begun licking my hardwood floors, my walls (both cement basement and those in rooms) in addition to licking the marble threshold b/w my bath and hallway.  He also seems to be sleeping a lot more and not as playful at all.  I have been keeping an eye on his litter box and everything was fine up until about an hour ago when he used it and I saw he has diarrhea (I had cleaned it right before he used it).  Are these significant symptoms of some aspect of this disease that I should be paranoid about? (I am paranoid already and have lost sleep the past two days anyway).  I do have a vet appt tom at 5:30 for him but am not sure what to do in the meantime.  Does anyone have any advice?  Thank you so much and I do hope that this is not something to be extremely concerned about but for some reason I do not have a good feeling...

Niki