I only test if the cat appears ill on intake. I DO test before adoption though, just to be able to tell the adopter for sure that I did test (and the result). The info they gave you was what's right for FIV though, not what's right for FELV. It appears this manager is not aware of the difference. FELV is spread by saliva and close contact (but very rarely in adults, kittens are most at risk), FIV is only spread by deep bite wounds (blood contact) and age makes no difference.

Testing is VERY expensive when you take in numbers of cats. It's hard to break even as it is... most people don't want to pay over $70 for a cat's adoption fee... the FIV/FELV combo snap test is $35. Add the spay/neuter... and you're already losing money. I have never ever once made any profit on saving a single cat in my care. My typical loss is upwards of $50 for every cat I rescue, just in vet work, that's not saying how much in food, litter, and supplies I spend for every cat.

Phaewryn

PLEASE Adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!!
http://ucat.us/adopt.html

DONATE: We could really use a power saw (for construction), a digital camera (for pictures) and HOMES for CATS!
Checked by AVG Free Edition.