Just jumping in here -- Nina - I always appreciate your posts and I'm not good about telling you so.  Thanks with all my heart.

We're an 8 kitty household here and we're new to FeVL+ (about 2 months new)...so since Mama Kitty tested positive and has spent quite a lot of time indoors with the rest of the pride -- I've been getting everyone tested all over again (at $60 a pop, I might add) and as soon as they test negative - on we go to the vaccine.

The fabulous news is that everyone so far (including the runt of Mama Kitty's litter whom I helped birth) has tested negative.  My youngest now is 2 and the rest are 2 or older ranging to 8 years old)...but they've all cohabitated through the winter and done what all it is that kitties do with each other---eating, grooming and doing their thing together-- and though it may not be scientific -- everyone here is doing great and there doesn't seem to be any incident of cross contamination (so many of you have confirmed that with older babies it just doesn't seem to be so contagious).  Just hoping our situation can give you some hope.  I suspect that Mama Kitty has been FeVL+ for at least a year even though I didn't know it until recently.