Also, thanks for the responses to all the other questions.  I am still just confused about how the cat gets enough protein out of the canned food to stay healthy.  Also, is it really as bad for their oral health as the vets, etc. say it is?  From a human standpoint, I know this is not true as I am in the dental field, but I don't know if something could be different for cats/animals.  It doesn't seem like it would, but...

I agree completely that the public, as well as the vets in my opinion, need to be educated.  Not that I know all that much, but I do know some and more than the average person, and mainly, I just know my own experiences and what worked, etc., so that is what I want to share.  Not only about leukemia, but also about ferals.  4 of my cats are ferals, and they are just wonderful.