Also, just a thought - I am not sure if people generally keep their freezers down to 0 F, anyway.   I have never checked my own.  Another reason I am wondering is because I think I was once told that being in the freezer doesn't even necessarily inactivate the microbes, but merely slows them down.  I assume, based on the information below, that maybe that is because the freezers aren't as low as 0.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: raw food

Just for the record though - freezing does not kill parasites.  This according to the USDA Safe Food Handling Fact Sheet:

Does Freezing Destroy Bacteria & Parasites?
Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes -- bacteria, yeasts and molds - - present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food.

Trichina and other parasites can be destroyed by sub-zero freezing temperatures. However, very strict government-supervised conditions must be met. It is not recommended to rely on home freezing to destroy trichina. Thorough cooking will destroy all parasites.

Even if it's parasite free - if kitty doesn't scarf it down and it sits there - it's going to get nasty.

I'm not at all against Raw - nor am I debating it's nutritional value.  Cats have eaten raw in the wild for years.  They've also gotten a lot of parasites from it in the wild and have a considerably shorter life span.  It's just something to think about and I'm sure all of us want all the info we can get.