An fiv test is not accurate until a cat is around 6 months old.  I wouldn't worry about it until then.  Even then I wouldn't worry about it.  As stated fiv is rarely transmitted between neutered/spayed cats.......... if ever!  I have NEVER heard of it being transmitted except through males (unneutered) fighting, and or mating.

Most fiv cats never even get sick from it.  They might have more gingivitis and need dentals, Mine had ear infections from time to time (but his ears were folded down, so we didn't know which one caused it.  He lived to a ripe old age right along with all my own cats and fosters that came and went.

tonya

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello!

>From what I've read about FIV, it's very rare for a mother to pass on
the virus directly to her kittens (unlike FeLV). I would definitely
have her retested in a few months and wouldn't be surprised if she
turned up negative. But FIV is not like FeLV in that cats with FIV
usually live long, asymptomatic lives. I also wouldn't worry about
mixing your positive and negative...the virus can only be transmitted by
a deep bite wound (typically seen with un-neutered, feral males who
fight each other). I don't think you'll have any problem with the
little one! ;)

I don't know much about the vaccine only that subsequent FIV testing on
a vaccinated cat can come up positive because of the vaccine. Either
way, I think your older guy will be just fine...FeLV is considered more
contagious than FIV and I've mixed my FeLV guys with my non-FeLV guys
and no one has ever turned up positive.

Bless your heart for caring for the little one! What is her name?

Jen

"But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be
unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world; You
become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed..." --Antoine de
Saint-Exupéry

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know
each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what
you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys." --Chief Dan
George

"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." --Blade Runner