My vet told me that the 1 year and the 3 years vaccines are different from each other in the way they are formulated.  He said that in the areas where the 3 year vaccine has been in use, the rabies vector is higher.

One way to get around the annual vaccine is to do titers - to actually test the blood to see if they need a new vaccine.  If they don't need it - you're fine.  Otherwise, you have to pay for the titers and the vaccine but at least you know you aren't over-vaccinating.