-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lora
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:53 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Special Need List Add-On: Madison Lee

Hi Everyone,

I called the vet's office yesterday around 4:30 P.M.
for an update on Madison's status and am happy to report that she not only
survived the general anesthetic (isoflurane gas), but the operation itself!

Due to Madison's age I was SO worried about the use of anesthetic, but she
pulled through with flying colors.

We picked up Madison from the hospital this afternoon and despite her
condition, she acts perfectly normal.
As soon as she saw me she pratcially jumped into my arms and when we touched
she instantly started to purr and kneed.

Here is the breakdown of the current events:

07-08-06 Extreral Examination- $15.00 dollars.

07-12-06 Amputation Surgery of Tumor- $80.00 dollars.
07-12-06 Lab Histopathology (biopsy of tumor)- $38.00.
07-12-06 Radiograph 10 X 12 (X-ray of chest)- 35.00.
07-12-06 Clavamox Drops (an antibiotic)- 14.00.

07-13-06 Current Total $182 (which is NOT a bad price considering we are
talking about "possible" cancer. I which treatment for "human" cancer was
this cheap!)

Keep in mind that this is just a running total, because the postoperative
appointment will be an additional cost as well as any treatment for cancer
IF she has it.

Madison's postoperative exam is scheduled for Saturday July the 22nd. That
is exactly ten (10) days from her surgery date. Our veterinarian will remove
her sutures then.

Unlike an invasive spay operation which requires dissolvable sutures,
Madison's sugery was external which required non-dissolvable sutures, hence
the postoperative appointment.

Our veterinarian used a vertical incision which is approximating three (3)
inches in length and resulted in seventeen (17) individual stitches.

Although Madison was discharged withOUT any pain medication she does not
seem to mind. As soon as we returned home she quickly inspected every room
in the house to ensure that everything was the way SHE left it (such a
queen) and then curled up on the back of the couch (her reserved spot) to
take a nap. If she understands the severity of the situation, she clearly
does not care.

In addition to the surgery and biopsy our veterinarian took an X-ray of her
chest to confirm if there was any cancer cells in that area. There was not,
her chest cavity can back clean and our veterinarian feels confident that
the tumor itself was "contained."

The word "contained" is cancer jargon for meaning that a small portion of
tissue (usually an inch) surrounding the tumor was "clean" or cancer-free.

In amputation surgery of a "possible" cancerous tumor, surgeons typically
remove some "good" tissue along with the tumor in hopes that ALL of the
cancerous cells have been extracted from the body; thus "containing" the
cancer.

This technique is common practice in surgical oncology i.e. colectomies,
lumpectomies, mastectomies, etc. as conventional cancer treatments.

However, the biopsy report from the diagnostic laboratory pathology
department is expected to be received on or before her postoperative
appointment.

It will be then that our veterinarian will be able to tell us if the tumor
was benign or malignant and IF the tumor was malignant what TYPE of cancer
it is.

If Madison is dignosed with cancer we will discuss a course of treatment
i.e. chemotherapy, radiation-therapy, immunotherapy, new/innovative
therapies, etc. then. As of right now, we are just focused on Madison
recovering from the surgery itself.

She made it over the first hurdle (the surgery) now if she can just get over
the next (the cancer.) We are not out of the woods yet. Please continue to
keep my sweet Madison Lee in your thoughts and prayers. We need all the
positive healing vibes that we can get.

Thank you to everyone who has emailed replys and posted their well-wishes.
We sincerely appreciate it.

Hugs, Lora