This morning my housemate Gail and I had to make the decision to help Patches to the Bridge.

As you know, he's been refusing all food -- or he'd taste it once and then the next time ignore it.  In the past few days it became apparent that swallowing was becoming an issue, so we took him to the vet this morning.  The vet said his lymph nodes were swollen and he seemed to be in pretty classic crash mode, and rather than put him through more unpleasantness with syringing and pills, we chose to let him go.  We stayed with him until he was gone, quickly and peacefully.

When he came to us, he was filthy and full of vermin, and it was days before he would let us touch the parts of his body where the mats had been.  When he left, at least, he was clean and loved to be petted all over.  This at least we could do for him, and give him all the love and care we could.  This morning, I told him that if it turns out he gets another time around, he should come back to us.  He was a dear little soul, and we will miss him.  Gentlest of Bridge vibes to our Patches.

I want to thank everybody here for their support and caring and wonderful information during this brief sojourn with Patches.  You have all been beyond great.

Diane R.

"Nice kitty!"
     -- Prof. Radcliffe Emerson
          The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog