(My email is not getting thru)
----- Original Message -----
From: Nina
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: just need to vent about my feral feluk

(sorry if this shows up twice, post wasn't going through this morning)

Jeni,
What happened with the cat that was trapped in your wall?  I was reading some stuff in the files of my feral list and I came across this advice for your situation.  I hope you don't need it at this point.  Please give us an update.
Nina
One way to get cats out of a crawlspace is to cover the hole with
hardware cloth (wire mesh 1/4-1/2 inch holes) and cut a flap in it.
Pull it out a tiny bit toward you...just enough so that a cat trapped
inside will push against it and get out. The cat/kitten pushes out.
But, when they come back, the rigid wire doesn't push IN to the
crawlspace (it gets hung up on itself since you started it in one
direction) and the cat can't get back in.

You can also buy a one way door from Tomahawk (lets animals out but
not back in but it sounds like time is of essence, here. A one-way
door looks like a cage trap end, with a door that pushes open. You
put one end against the hole, and the cat pushes out the other.
With cats it is important to cover the sides of the one-way door the
same way you would a trap, so that the cat, in the darkness of the
cellar, sees the light at the end of the device (the door it has to
push through) and doesn't spend a lot of time trying to get out the
wire at the sides (just like you see a cat do when it's stuck in a
trap).

If you use hardware cloth it is important to make the flap small (less
than six inches by six inches, and pull it out only a little. Don't
bend it a lot or it will be floppy enough for the cat to pull down
and go back inside. I usually cut the wire so the flap points up (does
this make any sense at all?) Like an upside down cat door.

JENI RECA wrote:

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the encouragement, kind words and of course advice.  We are borrowing a trap from a friend, plan on trapping her and just getting her back in the house.  Unfortuantely we do not have an extra room to keep her in.  We have one bedroom an open floor area with the kitchen and livingroom and the down stairs is all opened.  I plan on making her a small comfortable area under our stair area where she can hide better in and maybe won't want to go back into the wall.  Thank you again, this list and the people on it are great and it's nice to be able to turn to in need.

Thank you

Jeni