I agree, safer to just call in sick or plead an appointment, because they can't very well look at you sideways for that.  The last time I had a vet appointment, I called it a medical appointment.  Which is what I had just called an appointment for myself with a nurse-educator, since she wasn't actually a doctor, so it was plausible.  You hate to have to lie, but sometimes it's just the way you have to go, especially where pets are concerned.  My floor work coordinator is very sympathetic to sick pets, but her superiors are likely to be less so, so I just make it easier for all of us and tell everybody it's an appointment.  Tonya, I'm glad you got your day back after all that, but it was sucky to be put through that in the first place.  I hope that principal mellows in time.

 Several years ago I had an icky situation going.  I had just been told that I was terminated from my job of 11 years (for nothing I had done wrong, they told me I was a bad secretary but it was really just they were tired of paying me for 4 weeks vacation) but that I could stay on for a month while finding a new job.  Which, being poor, I had to do.  Simultaneously, my first cat Saavik crashed from CRF - entirely my fault, I didn't even notice the signs and wasn't good about vet visits.  She was getting fluids at the vet, and as soon as I got in one morning, I got a call from the vet saying she wasn't going to make it.  The fact that I had already been fired was very liberating!  I just said, "I'm going home, my cat is dying," and got on the next bus to be with her.  You may imagine, this was one of the darkest weeks I've ever spent.  Later, in one of those strange twists, I got unexpected sympathy from the guy where I worked who had always been the meanest and most arbitrary, who had recently found one of his cats dead and who was devastated by it, and I was the only one who had offered him sympathy.  He even gave me the book he'd bought on pet loss.

Diane R.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Susan Loesch
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 11:38 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Popeye has gone to the bridge

I am sure glad you got your day back and I am so sorry that you've lost Popeye.   I also work in a school - as a librarian.  There isn't any point in trying to be honest with the admin. - only once in 32 years have I done that.  I had a couple of hours of personal leave left this spring and my feleuk baby, Cheyenne, was in the process of dying.  Since you are supposed to have PL approved sooner than the minute you want to take it I did call my principal and ask to take it that morning and said why.  But generally I just don't give them the chance to tell me no -- I just call in sick.  Or say I have a doctor's appt. if I have to leave  for a vet appt.

catatonya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thank you Marylyn.  She did give me the day back.  She had also docked another teacher last Friday who had to be out of state in a wedding.  Human Resources made her give both of us our days back.  Next time I have a problem with a cat I will be sure to call in SICK for myself and not have to deal with this kind of crap again.

tonya

Marylyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My first message is being held by a monitor.  So I'll try again.  I am so sorry this has happened to you.  I don't understand how you can unapprove an absence after approving it.  You have no idea the level of meetings I've walked out on because a critter of mine needed me.  This is certainly not what we want to teach children.
Popeye is very grateful to you for your love and for being there for him.   Bless you.

                                                 If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures
                                                 from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who
                                                 will deal likewise with their fellow man.
                                                                  St. Francis
http://www.incredimail.com/index.asp?id=99284

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

This electronic mail transmission and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.
They should be read or retained only by the intended recipient.  If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the transmission from
your system.  In addition, in order to comply with Treasury Circular 230, we are required to
inform you that unless we have specifically stated to the contrary in writing, any advice we
provide in this email or any attachment concerning federal tax issues or submissions is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid federal tax penalties.