You are sooo correct; after all that time, it really won't matter.  BUT
WOULDN'T IT BE WONDERFUL FOR THE DAY TO ACTUALLY COME TO
CELEBRATE???!!!!!

I've already told Gunnar - no matter what the test results say - HE
WILL NOT SPEND THE REST OF HIS LIFE WEARING A "LABEL."  UNLESS, OF
COURSE, IT'S A DESIGNER LABEL!  ;D   He's not going to be "negative" or
(especially) "positive" - he's just going to be our newest addition,
Gunnar.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 9/11/06 3:42:46 PM >>>
 i'd definitely go for the IFA instead of the elissa--the false
positive
rate is just too high on the latter. i don't know how much actual
research
there is on how long it can take to clear on the IFA--i'd seen a cite
of up
to 8 months from exposure, tho that one no longer appears where i saw
it.
belinda says it was a year. part of the issue is that, if after all
that
time, the cats is still positive, does it really matter? for keeping on
eye
on things, yes, but if the kitty's been in your family that long, it's
not
likely that his status will really make much difference in whether he
stays,
is it?

others will have more info re: mixing positives with negatives, and/or
mixing unvaccinated negatives with positives. personally, i would
vaccinate
my negatives and mix with no problem, but there's an ongoing debate
about
the safety of vaccinations that each individual needs to weigh.

MC

 On 9/11/06, Susan Franklin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
keep
> the litter box clean and worry about the food/water bowls.  I can
pick
> up breakfast/lunch/dinner dishes immediately after meals, but what's
the
> best route to take regarding the water bowl?  And I guess I would
clean
> the litter box in the morning and when I get home each night from
work.
> Does this sound like a safe plan?  Any other suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your advice and
> words of wisdom.  You've made a nervous "sister" to three cats a
more
> calmer person.   Like I told our vet, who said "don't count on it"
when
> I told her we were literally praying to throw the virus, I trust and
> believe more in what I read on this site than I would the vet's
office.
> You guys have "been there, done that."  And you've got love, which
is
> the strongest feeling of all.
>
> God bless all of you and your kitties!!
>
> Keep the faith.
>
> Susan F.
> Chicago, Illinois
> sister to Kelly (16 - just had her Sweet 16 on Saturday), Meagan
> (7-1/2) and Gunnar (1-1/2-2).

> retest using the IFA at a minimum of 90 days--i go for 120 days
since
> most
> times it takes between three and four months to clear the virus--so
> unless
> you are absolutely sure that he couldn't have been in contact with
an
> infected cat that entire amount, better to wait.
>
> statistically, 70% of those originally tested positive on the ELISA
> will
> test negative on the IFA--if you do not test too soon. as belinda
says,
> even
> if an IFA is positive after 90-120 days, it's still not a
> definite--the
> virus can still clear itself.
>

> On 9/11/06, Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  I'm confused about who is asking what here.  Who's the person
that
> is
> > using caps to talk with?  Anyway, this was just posted on my feral
> list in
> > answer to questions about ELISA vs IFA.  I don't know this person,
> (and I
> > hope he wouldn't mind my copying his post for our list), but his
> response
> > seemed knowledgeable and even in my foggy state of mind, a
> reasonable
> > explanation.  I had thought that it wasn't possible to detect felv
> antigens
> > in the bone marrow, (sequestered), even with an IFA.  I thought
I'd
> throw
> > his comments out there for others to comment on.
> > Nina
> >
> > > the ELISA is about 100 times more sensitive than the IFA- but
> > not as specific- which accounts for the high % of false positives.
> The
> > ELISA detects soluble (circulating) P27 antigen while the IFA
detects
> P27
> > antigen in nucleated cells, neutrophils and platelets, or in bone
> marrow
> > cells.
> >
> > IFAs depend upon advanced stages of infection to detect the
presence
> of
> > antigen and thus will not usually pick up early infections or
> sequestered
> > infections. The  increased sensitivity of the ELISA allows the
> detection of
> > early infections, transient infections, and sequestered infections
> that may
> > not be picked up by the IFA.
> >
> > Neither the ELISA nor IFA will not detect viral latency, because
> during
> > viral latency P27 antigen is not being produced. >
> >

> > Susan Franklin wrote:
> >
> >    [EMAIL PROTECTED] 9/11/06 8:37:18 AM >>>
> >

> >     Susan,
> >   I would wait *at least* 90 days and then get the IFA test.
WOULD
> > NOT WANT TO GET THE ELISSA TEST AGAIN???  ISN'T THE IFA TEST "THE
> FINAL
> > SAY"???  IF THE IFA CAME BACK POSITIVE, WOULD I CONTINUE TO RETEST
> WITH
> > THE IFA?  AND HOW OFTEN?
> >
> > Keep
> > giving the Mega C and good food and hopefully he will clear the
> virus.
> >
> > But if not and it could take longer than 90 days, he'll still be
> > healthier with the supplements and better food, which gives him a
> > better
> > chance of fighting off any opportunistic diseases or viruses.
WILL
> DO.
> >  THANK YOU.
> >
> > I had Bailey tested once a year for about the first 5 years by
then
> it
> >
> > was obvious he wasn't going to throw it off, this is after the
> initial
> >
> > retest in 90 days.  I had him PCR tested when he was about 8 years
> old
> >
> > and it was in his DNA.  But he was healthy up until he got sick at
> > almost 11 years of age, and he tested positive at 5 months of age,
> so
> > he
> > lived a very good life for about 11 years being positive.  AND
THANK
> > THE GOOD LORD BAILEY HAD YOU!!!!!!!!!!  I'M GOING TO DO ALL I CAN
FOR
> MY
> > GUNNAR.
> >
> > AND HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T SEE ANY HUGE PROBLEMS WITH HIS MIXING WITH
> > KELLY AND MEAGAN (NEGS)??  I'VE GOT TO SAY....THIS SITE HAS GIVEN
ME
> SO
> > MUCH HOPE FOR OUR FUTURE.  REGARDING MIXING, ETC.  THANK GOD YOU
> GUYS
> > WERE THERE TO TELL ME ABOUT THE WELLNESS FOOD AND THE MEGA C.  MY
> VET
> > WASN'T EXACTLY ENCOURAGING ABOUT HIM THROWING OFF THE VIRUS - AND
> OTHER
> > SITES ARE JUST SO "DOWN" ON MIXING.
> >
> > God bless you all - you are generous with your time and advice and
> it's
> > just so obvious how much you love your furry friends!!
> >

> --
> Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
> Maybe That'll Make The Difference....
>
> MaryChristine
>
> AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats
> MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ: 289856892

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
> This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
> which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged,

--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 289856892

--
Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....

MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 289856892
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to