----- Original Message -----
From: Hideyo Yamamoto
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: Oxygen tank - will this work - To Joe

>Thank you very much for all the information -
>I must be a bit dull as I am still confused as to what I need to do - could
you help me set this up step by step?

Sure. Its very easy.

>Do I need presdcriptions from my vet?  If so, what do I need prescriptions
for?

Probably for the oxygen.

>siz E O2 cylinder - does it come empty?  If so where do I get oxygen
filled?

Do a search for oxygen suppliers in your area.  You might be able to rent
tanks - which includes refilling.  However, in the long run, it might be
cheaper to buy the tank and just pay for refills when you need them instead
of paying monthly rental fees. OTOH, its better to have at least two tanks
on hand so renting might better..  Before you buy a tank, see how much an
oxygen supplier in your area charges for rentals including refills.

>If I added up all the things listed below, it totals to more than $175 - do
I not need to buy everything on the list?

E Cylinder CGA870 standard Cylinder Valve - SKU 20012 $ 89.95
Standard cannula , by Salter, 1600, 0-8 LPM,  SKU 19101 Ea. $ 1.89
Cannula Extension Hose, 25 Foot, SKU 19134  $ 5.49 Ea. -
Adult Regulator 0 to 8 LPM SKU 20022 $ 79.95
SalterLabs Humidifier Bottle, SKU 18100 Ea.$ 3.29

Total $180.57

>And I was not sure how to set this part up -
>Can you explain to me more?  Sorry..

>>For a cat, your vet will probably prescribe a chamber with about 40% FiO2
>>(fraction of inspired oxygen) -- .5 lpm usually provides that.  Most
>>regulators are calibrated in .5 lpm increments. So you probably don't need
>>an expensive pediatric regulator.  In fact, the standard 8 lpm regulators
>>are better than pediatric regulators because you can turn up the valve to
>>bring FiO2 to 40% much more quickly- especially important in a crisis
>>situation.  For the humidifier, run a short piece of O2 tubing (or any
1/4"
>>plastic tubing) to the intake port on the top of the bottle and attach the
>>cannula to the side port.

The humidifier is a plastic bottle.  On the lid there is an O2 in port and
O2 out port.  Run the tubing from the regulator to the O2 in port, then run
tubing from the O2 out port to the chamber.  I can send you a picture of my
set up if you like.  Once you see a picture you'll understand how easy the
whole thing is to set up.

Joe