Another thought is to find an alternative vet to compliment your regular vet (Again, hopefully a new regular vet). I have and the AV and RV talk to each other and work together. They may not always see eye to eye but they are willing to listen and try different things. This relationship has existed with both dogs and cats and conditions other the FeLV. In fact my RV sent me to the AV when I had a beagle with what we thought was disc trouble.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow man. St. Francis ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: one question

Mi Wu,
It sounds to me like you need to find a different vet.  He shouldn't be
discouraging you from finding ways to support our kitty's immune
function and good health.  While it's true that most vets want to see
documented proof in the form of reputable studies, they should remain
open to anequdotal reports, or at least to their patient's wishes to try
different, even if "unproven" remedies.  "No solid evidence" does not
equate to "no beneficial response".  Perhaps his comment was specific to
whatever medicine you were asking about.  From the little you've said
about him, I'm surprised he didn't suggest you put Prince to sleep as
soon as you found out he was pos.

I don't know what he's talking about with his comment of a "serious side
effect" with the felv vaccine.  Perhaps he was talking about VAS
(Vaccine Associated Sarcoma) which is possible with any vaccine.  I've
read articles stating that the chance of VAS is greater than a cat
contracting felv and so they discourage people from getting the shot.
Actually knowing that your neg cats are exposed to a pos puts them at
greater risk then the general population though.  Could you ask him to
elaborate and then let us know what he has to say?

I'm not sure what Leslie has Satch and Bea on.  I know that she was
concerned about sneezing and possible asthma, perhaps it has to do with
that.  Most everyone has their kitties on immune boosting supplements.
If you don't get the response from the group you were looking for, post
your question again with something more specific in the subject line.
Nina

Mi Wu wrote:

i saw in leslie's story that her cats need medication twice a day to stay healthy. can anyone kindly tell me which kind of medication is that? i talked with my vet to see if there is anything i can do to help Prince, but he said no. i mentioned i read somewhere that there is medicine to boost the cat's immune system, and my doctor said that is true, but the effects for those medicine remain unclear and there is no solid evidence at all. he made the same comment about FeLV vaccine when i asked if i can just vaccine my other cats and then keep Prince with them. he said the effectiveness of the vaccine stays untestified, but there is serious side effect. i suggested on giving them FeLV vaccine in august during their annual exam, but my vet gave me a firm "no".
 can somebody explain a bit?  thanks!
Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com> to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2ยข/min or less.