Sometimes they want to be alone when they leave. The Royal Princess Kitty Katt did not want me holding her or hovering as she put it very plainly. She enjoyed visits from my mother, the person she chose to live with though.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow man. St. Francis ----- Original Message ----- From: "TenHouseCats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: Losing Dukee...... :(

one of my vets suggested, years ago, that i just fill a 2-litre soda
bottle with hot water and wrap it in a towel....

i try so hard to respect what they need as they're preparing to leave,
even when what i really want to do is just hold them close and infuse
them with all the love i have.... but that's not always what they
need....

i agree that oftentimes their spirits go on before their bodies do--i
remind them that they don't need that worn-out body any longer, and
that they can let it go and pick out a brand-new one at the bridge....

i've heard that sometimes valium can have an opposite effect when
they're getting ready to pass, and can cause even greater
agitation--it's happened with a couple of cats i know of, so has
pretty much scared me off trying it.... (tho the last time i'd reached
the point of getting the valium out, when i got back upstairs with it,
martha had passed on her own--i'd only been gone a minute or two....)