My understanding is that it measures antibodies to any corona virus.

At 07:12 PM 11/8/2006, you wrote:
... . .
I do think that I've read that titre tests measure the antibodies present, not the virus itself, so a very immune compromised cat may have exhausted their ability to produce antibodies and test negative even while quite infected. I think this is what happened with my Ally, she had a series of smaller illnesses because of her weakened immune system, by the time things got worse and we suspected FIP, I think she had used up most of her limited ability to produce antibodies and thus only had a titre of 1:100. I've read that FCoV is supposed to be so contagious, hard to control even in sterile lab settings, but her littermates were with her for the first six weeks of their lives and they all (as well as big sister Blue) tested negative at 1:100, so who knows...

Beth

i've also seen that 3 weeks is a long enough time for not bringing in a cat, and that if the cat came from a shelter or any other multi-cat environment, there's no point in isolating since it's probably only been exposed before it came to you.....

i haven't actually seen info re: whether the FCoV is actually even still present in an FIP cat--since there are lots of cases where cats presumed to have FIP show no abnormal titre levels..... so even tho FCoV may be a longer-lived virus, i'm not sure that's the issue....