I'm no lawyer, but that seems pretty clear to me. If that is the entire contract then they are saying you are only responsible for the food and litter, they clearly state they are responsible for "any"  medical care provided you are getting preapproval. There is no caveat about waiting for adoption or that they will only reimburse up to adoption expenses. If this is really the entire contract then they have, in my opinion, acted in bad faith and I would think that in a court you could win reimbursement if you were to take it that far.

From: "Kelley Saveika" < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I don't think they want to take them off my hands.  Most of the ones I have are either domestics (they are a Siamese rescue) or cats with chronic health problems that are not going to be easy to adopt out.

I have an IBD kitty (black DSH) with recurring stomatitis issues.  She's probably got some other issues also because she is just not a well cat.  I'm going to take her back to the vet tomorrow because she is clearly immune compromised (she's COVERED in ringworm, when none of my other guys have it.)  She is emaciated despite having had 8 teeth pulled to fix the stomatitis and taking daily flagyl.   I have no idea what else could be wrong with her.  When she got spayed they said she had cysts on both ovaries.  She's neg for both felv and fiv.  Of course she has been wormed and all the routine stuff.  She's lethargic and seems to take no joy in being alive - I don't know if she is in pain, or ill, or what.   I feel really bad because she looks horrible.  Like she's not being taken care of at all.  But I do the best I can.

Then I have another cat with a congenital spine deformity.  She's on monthly pain meds and will eventually need to move to steroids and possibly have surgery.

I'm not going to say "no one will ever adopt these cats" because I believe that all cats are adoptable.  But it will take much longer for them to be adopted than those with no health issues.

I'm sending in the bill for the fecal, exam and Panacur from yesterday ($79.27), but I think they are going to say that that is routine and not reimbursable until she's adopted.  Plus that is over the amount of the adoption fee, so if I get reimbursed for that I won't get reimbursed for the amoxy she was on to clear her URI, her routine immunizations, spay, etc.

I have an adoption system in place since I am opening my own rescue, and am working on getting a petfinder listing.  However, their agreement with the local shelter stipulates that they will not release any cats to any organizations that aren't "approved placement partners"  and my group is not, and won't be until after we have gotten our letter of determination from the IRS and undergone a 6 month mentoring relationship with an approved placement partner.

Oh, here is the verbiage from the foster agreement:

The foster parent shall be responsible for the food and litter provided to the cat during its stay with the foster parent.   Any medical attention required by the cat shall be pre-approved by xxx and shall then be funded by xxx, except in an emergency.  If emergency medical intervention should be required, the foster parent will contact xxx at the first moment possible to obtain approval for emergency medical treatments.