I'm sorry I have not been following this thread and just read this (over 700 emails in my inbox). My cat patches, who used to get hairballs a lot, would occasionally fall over as if passing out after or during puking up a hair ball. She has done it at least 3 or 4 times, and I have stuck my finger down her throat each time to bring her to consciousness (not sure if that does it, but it seems to). The first time I rushed her to the ER, but she was fine. The vet told me to give her laxastat every day, and when I did she started puking less.  Now she is on a home-made diet because of Lucy, who has IBD, and she hardly ever throws up anymore (knock on wood-- you know she is going to right after I sign off now!).  I have no idea why she passes out sometimes.  Her jaw gets rigid when she does, like it is a seizure, but she does not visible seize.
Michelle