Hi and welcome.  If dental is badly needed I would do it. Two of my
positives had multiple teeth extracted and it went ok, though one got a URI
from  the
stress of surgery that took a while to go away.  But their teeth were  so bad
they could not eat without the extractions.

I would immediately put him on 500 mg/day of lysine for herpes.  For  the
gingivitis you might want to try a 5 day course of clindamycin, an  antibiotic
that is especially good for gums.  My Patches stopped eating due  to bad
gingivitis but has felt fine since a course of clindamycin. The liquid is
horrible
tasting, though, so i would recommend pills.

Michelle