Dental health is *very* important. You would hate for your baby to overcome the rigors of fighting FeVL only to succumb to a debilitating and preventable illness caused by dental neglect.
I agree, neglected dental health can lead to very serious and even deadly infections and other serious problems. Cats get abscesses too and they can become very serious and deadly if left untreated. It isn't as easy to see dental problems with our furkids as it is with humans, cats hide pain and illness very well. Losing weight can be an indicator of possible dental or mouth problems, as well as many other things, it was the first sign with Bailey. He was doing so well and was even on the pudgy side but then I noticed he was losing weight very gradually, it was his mouth. He eventually had to have all of his teeth removed except his insisors and teeth in between. We tried many different things but nothing gave complete relief, it was only after pulling his teeth he was better. Bailey was 9 or 10 when he had that done and had been positive since at least 5 months of age when I found him.

He did fine with the surgery which lasted about 45 minutes, they used sevoflurane and fluids before, during and after.

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/Dental.html

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/dental.html

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/dental.html

--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com