Anne,

  Sorry I didn't see your post until this morning.  How are things today?

  In answer to your question, yes, MANY animals go off to be on their own when
they are about to die.  As a hospice nurse for my Aunt Marge explained...(in
regard to her..) "if you need to be with her, just keep still next to her, or
if you have to touch...rest your hand, don't move it.  Its better for the
departing if you are still and silent because each time you speak, or stroke,
you force them to refocus on this world...instead of what they have to do,
where they are going.  That's why many animals run off to be on their own to
pass into the next life, it makes it easier to do so without the earthly
distractions.

  God Bless you and Jimmi Too Cool.  Know that you are in my prayers..always.

  <<<HUGS>>>>

  Love,
  Tamara

anne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Hi everyone,
     My Jimi Too Cool, 10 year old black domestic shorthair with feline
leukemia, is in his last stage of life, I am sure.  He has been slowly going
downhill.  He is just bones with fur and won't eat.  His pain is controlled
with depo-medrol and tramadol and he is not in distress, pain is under control,
but he mostly just sleeps a lot.  Well, tonight he made a break for it and went
outside and won't come in and it is at freezing temp now.  32 degrees, I
believe.  No wind, though.  I have cat-fence-in so he is not straying but I
can't reach him.  Every time I go out to try and bring him in, he runs for
cover under the deck.

     Have any of you run into this problem?  I have heard that cats and dogs
like to go outside to die.  Could that be it, I wonder?  I am so worried about
him as he is so skinny and he is not used to this cold weather.  He can come
in, though, if he would like, as I put the cat door back into the window, just
for him, although I had it stowed for the cold weather until spring.  I am
trying to relax because I know he could come in if he wanted to so he must not
mind it outside.  Sigh....

     Thanks, everyone.

  Anne and Jimi Too Cool and Simms and Sophie in MI