Barbara,

 I think you did the absolute right thing, and SHAME on your mother for even
thinking of throwing guilt around like that. I think it's terrible that
someone who is supposed to love you and support you by default would even
consider being so thoughtless and MEAN to even suggest that you deserve to
be in your situation. I say, keep your chin up, and be proud you turned out
to be such a good person with an example like THAT to look up to! I hope
that your kind and generous heart and loving attitude passes on to your
children and the chain of guilt stops in your shoes in your family line. I
honor you for your choices, and your willpower to take the higher road in
life! Good for you!

  Most people, including my family, think my husband and I are crazy for
taking in strays, especially now this has happened (my own mother now is
implying a sort of, "Serves you right" when I talk to her). But, how  could
we have left those poor 5 month old kittens to die?  They were living in a
storage shed, and they were being cared for by the employees; but some of
them abused the cats. We still think we did the right thing, despite what's
happened.  We do it because we love cats, and have been accused of being too
soft-hearted (I've been called worse things!).  I'd rather err on the side
of kindness, if I had to go to an extreme.

Phaewryn

Donations Needed for Whitey's emergency Vet Care!
http://ucat.us/Whitey.html
DONATE VIA PAYPAL:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=seething%40vtlink%2enet&item_name=DONATION%20to%20Whitey%20Veterinary%20Bill%20Fund
12/24/06 Whitey Pictures: http://ucat.us/Whitey/WhiteyNewPics.html