Welcome - so very glad you are here.  Animal, Amele and Frack are very lucky
to have you - may they grow strong.  They know they are loved.

elizabeth

On 12/28/06, JoJo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Hi All,

New member, just an intro post – and a long one.  I will tend to lurk more
then comment, unless I feel compelled to do so.  I'm here to learn and to
share my experience and hear about others.

I've been fostering kittens for a local shelter since 2003.  Up until this
year I've been lucky and all kittens I've fostered have been healthy, with
the exception of a few orphans that passed from "failure to thrive".  My
home went from 3 cats to 8 (not to mention 4 dogs).

This year, the very first litter of the season, I took in 7 kittens, about
5 weeks of age.  Nobody is sure if they're all one big litter, or two or
three litters – they were brought in from an animal control facility that
has a tendency to just throw kittens into a cage.  The fact they made it out
of animal control – alive – is a small miracle in itself.

Within the first two weeks, two died.  They went down quickly.  I had to
force feed a few, all had URI's.  When they were old/big enough to test, the
shelter tested the biggest two of the remaining five (there were only two
test kits left on the day I went in).  Both tested negative.  I assumed
everyone else was negative so let my cats in to socialize with this group.
They were named Ali, Frick, Frack, Animal & Amele.

A week or two later, the remaining three were tested.  Ali came back
positive.  I was devastated.  I started researching what I could, and from
what I read decided since she was already symptomatic that I would keep her
until it was time.  At the time, the shelter was going through some
procedural changes – all FeLV + cats were to be PTS, symptomatic or not.  I
conveniently "hid" her – everyone knew I had her, but when it was time to
get her siblings fixed, she stayed home.

Two weeks later, I had Ali PTS, we had just come off a round of force
feedings, to only start again five days later, and she had blood coming from
her rectum.  She was 10 weeks old.  Her siblings were all still at the
shelter and wouldn't go up for adoption until after they had been retested –
three months later.  All had URI's and one was sneezing uncontrollably.  I
brought them all back home with me.

After two months, Frick was not improving to my satisfaction, so I
insisted on retesting.  He came back positive (IFA confirmed), the other
three negative.  So I kept them "hidden" again, with no trips to the
shelter, just going in to get Interferon.  I did take Frick in to get him
neutered (at the original date of neuter he only had one testicle descended
so they wanted to wait two weeks – I waited until he was well enough).  What
a surprise when the vet did the surgery to find no testicles at all!  I felt
guilty as hell, the poor guy had a five inch incision, and I put him through
all that for nothing.

The entire litter was then to go to a place called In Care of Cats – they
are a hospice that takes in FeLV cats.  By this time I'd had the kittens for
about 8 months.  I asked the shelter if I could hospice foster Frick, he'd
have "off" days, and at the time I was asking, he was on his third "off"
day.  I didn't want to send him off to die in a strange place.  I came home
to discover he had not eaten at all that day, it continued into the next
day, he had very little energy.  I took him out to the shelter that night
and had him PTS.  It broke my heart to do so.  And right after that I had
four foster kittens die from panleukopenia – good week for me.

Two weeks to the day after I had Frick PTS, the shelter called to tell me
it was time for the remaining three to go to the hospice.  I knew the call
was coming and I was dreading it.  I wanted to keep them, but at the same
time, finances were strained.  Foster coordinator was afraid I'd have a melt
down if I lost any of these three to FeLV.  But I WAS losing them anyway.
That night I told her they could go to the hospice.  I cried so hard I was
hyperventilating, and had myself so upset I could not eat the next day.  I
called her after lunch and told her they weren't going anywhere, and adopted
them for $10 each (normal fee is $75).

So I am now the proud owner (or am I owned) of three 9 month old kittens
that may or may not have FeLV.  I am getting them and my 8 cats (they were
vaccinated for FeLV) retested in February or March.  All still sneeze, Amele
more then the others.  We have bouts of diarrhea, which clears up with
flagyl.  They're all very active, although Frack is more laid back then her
siblings.  Animal loves water, Amele chases his tail and shadows – those two
are almost always together.  Animal is more of a lover then Amele, and Frack
prefers to keep to herself, but she does like to chase my feet under the
covers.

Many people have actually THANKED me for taking in these "special needs"
kitties.  To me they aren't special needs, they just got dealt a very bad
hand.  You wouldn't get rid of your child if it was born with some disease,
I won't get rid of them.  They deserve to live as much of a life as they
can, and as long as they are enjoying life, then why not let them?  Others
have told me they can't go through the heartbreak – what's the difference of
losing them to FeLV, old age or some other disease?

So I guess I'm now one of the "rare" people that think FeLV cats deserve a
chance and should not be treated like lepers.  While mine have been exposed,
I'll deal with the cards I was dealt.  Who am I to argue with fate?  I was
given these kittens for a reason, and I guess that reason was to make sure
they'd have a happy, good life for however long they may or may not have.

So that's my LONG story and how I came to owning FeLV positive cats.