  From: Gussies mom
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 8:47 AM
  Subject: Re: OT Louisville Animal Ordiance

  This sounds to me like they have a bad overpopulation problem and are trying
to reduce the number of animals killed because of unwanted breeding. I think it
is good to have to have a special license if you have an unalterd dog. I also
don't have a problem with them making people pay for the surgery and
vaccinating. If you have a show dog, I'm sure it has a collar, tag and
microchip and is well watched.

  Beth

  Marylyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    I received the below from a friend.  The ordinance applies to cats too.
Please feel free to cross post.

    Feel free to cross post these comments from someone who attended the
    Mayor's town hall meeting last night...this came across on my Showdog-L
    list.

    Subject: Notes From L'Ville Mayor's Town Meeting

    The included notes were taken at yesterday evening's "town hall" meeting
    by
    a person who
    attended the meeting.  She has signed the notes, and gives permission to
    cross-post. After
    reading the remarks of the assistant to the Animal Control Officer, I'd
    be
    even less inclined
    to take a dog to Louisville:

    >I attended the monthly public meeting of Mayor Abramson's tonight in
    Louisville. It was announced that it was not a public forum and no
    questions and answers were allowed during the formal part of the
    meeting.
    The monthly meeting obviously had more people attending than usual.
    After
    noticing the large number of hunters present with orange hats the mayor
    asked "What hunting season is it?" and someone shouted back "Dog
    hunting!".
    Mayor Abramson conceded he had put his foot in his mouth. He also
    encouraged the audience to call  502-574-5000 ext. 311 with their
    problems
    and each call would be brought to his attention. He did not leave any
    further opening for audience responses. Forms were available to submit
    written "ideas, suggestions, or concerns" AFTER filling out your name,
    address and phone number.
    >After the mayor introduced his administration leaders people were
    allowed
    to get in line and ask questions of individual department heads. Dr.
    Meloche, head of animal control, was "out of town"-but adoption rates at
    AC
    have increased this year according to the mayor. Meloche's  assistant
    told
    me Dr. Meloche will be at the meeting next month. She also stated, in
    response to my questions:
    >AC isn't trying to inconvenience responsible dog owners.
    >Just because your neighbors report you for annoying dogs doesn't
    necessarily mean we are going to cite you.
    >Ex-pens aren't illegal.
    >We don't want to discourage dog shows.
    >If you have seven intact dogs all you will have to do is get TWO
    retail/dealer licenses from AC at $300 per year to continue to breed
    your
    dogs and be in compliance with the law.
    >We won't kill or alter your showdog if it gets loose at the dog show
    and
    is microchipped-but the law says we can and we will if we need to.
    >We don't intend to kill or alter showdogs- but it could happen.
    >If we do alter your showdog you will be subject to costs for surgery,
    boarding, and fines up to $250.
    >We might alter or kill your showdog because we have a terrible pet
    overpopulation problem in our community generated by animals that aren't
    altered.
    >If your animal is impounded by AC the charge for "redeeming" it is
    $25-$100 impoundment fee plus $15-25 per day boarding fee plus $30-$250
    fine plus all medical costs of spay/neuter of the animal. Plus the
    animal
    will be revaccinated at your expense.
    >All "strays" are held for five days unless AC is crowded and then your
    pet
    may be killed the same day it is picked up.
    >All complaints to AC are "anonymous".
    >All animal welfare or rescue groups must be "registered" and have a
    "permit" issued by AC.
    >City and county government are merged so the ordinance applies to
    EVERYONE
    even in rural areas.
    >Also spoke with members of the LKC who attended,  several hunters from
    Quail Unlimited, Assn of KY Sportsmen, groomers and dog breeders. A
    press
    conference scheduled by the Assn of KY Sportsmen prior to the meeting
    had
    to be canceled due to a train derailment south of L'ville. It will be
    rescheduled for the Feb. mayor's meeting.
    >A cat person told me her cat show in Louisville has been canceled for
    this
    year. The majority of the crowd seemed to be there specifically because
    of
    the anti-dog ordinance.  Some people were passing out lists of
    "offenses"
    in the ordinance that could result in a one year jail
    sentence-dissecting
    an animal in class, using a 6 ft leash on an unaltered animal, failing
    dismount and dispose of manure while trail riding, etc, etc. The line of
    people waiting to talk to the mayor was very long-I was not able to
    speak
    with him.
    >Prior to the mayor's meeting I stopped at the Executive Inn next to the
    LKC dog show site (KY Fair and EXPO Center). I met with the manager,
    Terry
    Jenks, and told him why I would not be staying at his hotel this year.
    He
    was very interested and said he had had a letter from another ex-guest
    who
    told him the same thing. Also said he would bring up the problem at a
    hoteliers meeting tomorrow. He may be contacted at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ,
    1-800-626-2706 or fax him at 502-363-1880.
    >Individual council members I talked to at the mayor's mtg mostly said
    they
    couldn't talk about the ordinance because there are lawsuits pending
    against the council over it. When I talked with James Peden's assistant
    (these councilpeople can afford assistants????) and asked him why Mr.
    Peden
    was "out of town" when the vote was taken on the ordinance he said "It
    wouldn't have made any difference anyway". I told him it would have made
    big difference to animal owners and  voters. The next mayor's meeting in
    Louisville is on the third Monday of Feb at the Sun Valley Community
    Center. Anyone who wants to speak to the council may do so at the
    regularly
    held council meetings but must register by phone in advance. Each
    speaker
    may speak for three minutes. A list of current council members is
    available
    at www.loukymetro.org . They are waiting to hear from people who are not
    in
    agreement with this ordinance.