I have experience with an orthopedic stockinette "the  shirt".  It is so much
better than the collar. Phaewryn posted a photo a  while back...here is the
link
 _http://ucat.us/Emily-postsurgery2.gif_
(http://ucat.us/Emily-postsurgery2.gif)

Renee

>>>The second one is about the 10-days period between surgery and  the
removal of stitches. The vet indicated, as an alternative to the  evil
plastic gorget (here in Italy it is called "Elizabethan collar",  don't
know in the USA but for sure you know what I am talking about), to  use
a wool or cotton "sleeve" to protect his abdomen, like a vest or  "shirt",
but with "sleeves", because without something to pass his front  legs
through, he would push down the edge quite easily. I would  absolutely
prefer this solution because the Elizabethan collar would keep  Rompi
from eating, drinking, grooming, and just  resting.<<<