That doesn't make any sense to me Kerry. How can she test neg, but still possibly be pos?? What vet was this that made that notation? You could call the office and ask to fax the report. Even if the vet doesn't remember the specific case, they should be able to tell you what the heck he might have meant by that.

That said, I wouldn't worry one little bit about the possibility of Momcat having fiv. I certainly wouldn't put her through the great cat round up just to have her retested. Did you read all those comforting posts about my Star when he tested pos for fiv? Seriously, if she has been acting and feeling healthy all this time, I'd suggest you put those reports back in the file and not worry about it. Having the thought in the back of your mind, (where it belongs in mho), will serve to keep you vigilant to her health concerns, that's not a bad thing. I know you already do that anyway.

Didn't you just bring her in for testing in preparation for her possible relocation to the UK? I would think that one of the tests that would be run, would be for fiv. Go take a look at the latest reports, or call the vet you just brought her to.
Nina

MacKenzie, Kerry N. wrote:
I was shocked last night, going thru old papers, to see a comment written on Momcat's notes in 2003, made by the vet who tested all six of my ferals for FeLV and FIV. The chart said that Momcat had (alone of the six) tested negative for FELV/FIV but the asterisked comment said that she POSSIBLY was *FIV* POSITIVE. I think that the news that the other 5 had tested FeLV positive must have put this "possibly FIV positive" comment right out of my head. Anyway, now my Q is: how can a cat test FIV neg but "possibly" be positive in reality.
What symptoms might she show now, 3 years on?
Can you guys recommend a website in case she is positive. (Because she's feral, it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can catch/have her tested.)
Thanks
Kerry M.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayers should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor. This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.