Okay Kelley, I just heard back from my ex. He was looking for all the paperwork, (her test results, diagnosis etc), but couldn't find it because he's in the middle of trying to sell his house and everything is packed away. This is what he told me:

Miss Kitty had a problem where her heart didn't grow together properly. They called her murmur, a "machine" murmur. Blood was going backwards into her heart. They put a shunt in that closed off the part of the heart that was bleeding into the other and got the blood flowing in the proper direction. He said his kitty was at the hospital for no more than two nights and except for the scar that runs the length of her underside, came through it beautifully. He said the operation cost him about $2500. I had forwarded your diagnosis email to him and he said it sounds like what was going on with Miss Kitty and doesn't understand why you are being told that surgery isn't an option. As I said before, he lives in Las Vegas NV. The vet that did the surgery is Dr. Geels at, (he thinks it's called), Veterinary Referral Services. He couldn't find their number, but the regular vet that referred him is Mauer Animal Clinic: 702-870-1011. My ex-husband's name is Jim Roach and they know Miss Kitty as "Princess".

If I were you, I'd track down Dr. Geels and see if you can fax your vet's paperwork to him for a phone consultation. Maybe he could refer you to someone in your area that could do the surgery. Hell, maybe you and Missy could take a flight to Vegas.

Let us know,
Nina

Kelley Saveika wrote:
Hi Nina,
I'm surprised to hear that. Everyone I have talked to - the cardiologist, the internist, the Yahoo heart group - says they are not doing surgery on cats and that they don't do well at all with heart lung machines. They say even dogs only have about a 5% survival rate with this surgery. I'd put a 2nd mortgage on my house for Missy, but not if she has a 99% likelihood of dying. Is it possible to get more info from your ex? Maybe a hospital in a different state... Yes, I'm on the Yahoo heart group. They are really nice there, not as nice as here of course:)