I'm sure you've read a ton of material on this, Michelle - I've only just
begun to learn about this because of your experience.  I found this in the
Merck Veterinary Manual (you've probably already seen it)...(looked it up -
1kg = 2.20462262lb)

Treatment is directed toward controlling the immune-mediated vasculitis and
reducing viral load. The most effective treatments are combinations of
prednisolone (4 mg/kg or 50-100 mg/m2, PO, sid) and cyclophosphamide (2-4
mg/kg, PO, sid for 4 consecutive days of each week). Alternatively, the
cyclophosphamide can be given at 50 mg/m2, PO, every 48 hr or 200-300 mg/m2,
every 2-3 wk. Other cytotoxic agents may be substituted for the
cyclophosphamide, such as chlorambucil at 10 mg/m2, PO, every 2-3 wk.
Because this cytotoxic therapy may suppress bone marrow cells, the hemogram
should be monitored weekly and the cat observed carefully for signs of
sepsis. Supportive therapy for FIP is important and includes broad-spectrum
antibiotics, adequate nutrition and fluid intake, and high doses of ascorbic
acid (125-250 mg, bid). The use of low doses of aspirin (10 mg/kg every
48-72 hr) may be useful as an anti-inflammatory and possibly antithrombotic
agent when used along with the steroids and cytotoxic agents. Treatment
directed toward controlling the virus includes systemic interferon-a (10,000
U/kg, SC, sid or 1.3 million U/m2, SC, 3 times/wk).

I don't mean to send you things you already know -- I just feel so
frustrated because I want to help so much and I just don't know how.

love and hugs,
elizabeth

 oh my, my vet. Well, my vet probably really wishes I would stop asking
him these questions every day. My vet thinks there is no way to figure out
what is happening, and that I should just decide on something and he will
give me the meds. He is very accommodating, but not very decisive.  He think
she has wet fip, he thinks there is not all that much to do, he is surprised
she has been eating to date, he has never heard of some of the stuff I have
had him order to put her on (feline interferon) and has never used other
stuff (epogen) and I think that he thinks I am trying to solve something
without a solution.

I was gradually tapering her until yesterday-- she was down to 10 mg/day.
And she seemed way more lethargic. Which  is why I decided to go the other
way and gave her the dex. Now I am going back to 12.5 mg/day of
prednisolone and seeing if that helps.

She is up at the top of the cat tree again, though she needed some help to
get to the top rung this time because her belly is so big it's hard for her
to pull herself up there. I am surprised she is up there, because earlier
she was so exhausted just from going to the litterbox that she laid down on
her way back to take a break.  She is eating some again, thank God, but not
nearly as much as she was pre-dex.  And I can not measure it anymore,
because she is only interested in freshly opened jars of baby food today,
and then only eats a little, so I have many open jars with a little bit gone
and no idea how much she has eaten. I would guess maybe one jar full.
Normally by this time of night she has been eating 2 or 2.5 jars full. But
at least she is eating something.  I syringed her a little food as well with
herb tinctures I just got from Robert MacDowell in Australia, and she did
not seem to mind so much, so maybe I should syringe her more, I don't know.
I hate to bother her so much.  she is very purry again, though.  I really
love her.

thanks for asking,
Michelle

In a message dated 2/2/2007 8:06:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,