the other thing i have to say, tho i think that tamara's comments
weren't about rude ranch's conditions but about the other person's
home, is that whomever said that cats are clean and neat has never
lived with a large number of them....

our facilities at the sanctuary were extensive, and designed from the
ground up with the state department of ag to be hygienic (ie, easily
washable!), etc. in MI, you cannot have anything that isn't
bleachable--no comfy furniture, no carpeting, etc., so that wasn't
even an option. we had floors that were moisture-sealed, walls that
were covered with washable vinyl panelling, little-tykes castles and
forts and playgrounds for them to sleep in and on and around, kid's
pools full of blankies, more litter boxes than you could count.....
and no sooner had we completely cleaned the rooms than SOMEONE had
thrown up, or had a hairball, or missed the litter box, or dumped over
a food bowl, or sneezed all over the walls or the clean windows....

the more cats a group takes on, and the more medically compromised
they are, the more likely it is that you are NOT going to find a place
that will always pass a white-glove test. sometimes runs to the vet or
medicating 40 cats takes precedence over cleaning the boxes,
especially if there's a blizzard and your volunteers didn't show up.
if you have a sanctuary for FeLVs, where cats regularly die, it's
sometimes hard to find regular volunteers--it's hard to keep having
your friends die on you, as we well know. sometimes you have to judge
a sanctuary by the condition of the CATS and how happy they seem, not
on how the housekeeping compares to your own, smaller-cat household.
if the cats are contented and look well-fed and in as good a physical
condition as they can be, given their diagnosis, well....

some sanctuaries ARE just warehouses, and one could ask if the cats
are better off there than the alternative. we didn't take in
housecats, because housecats didn't adjust well to living without the
amenities to which they'd become accustomed. to the strays and ferals
who'd had to live outdoors and fend for themselves, it was
wonderful--food, a roof over their heads, people to cuddle with them
when they wanted it, food, medical care when they needed it, food....
was it perfect? no. would i have done some things differently? of
course. but it was DEFINITELY a better choice for these cats than
euthanasia.