-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of tamara
stickler
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 9:12 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: Rude Ranch-Chris

Thanks Chris!

I do think about Big Boy alot, and thought perhaps you had chosen to
keep him.  Romeo is a good name for him!

Sorry about having to keep him separated from your girl.  Once again we
are treading the same path, as my most recent rescue does not get along
with my female, Coebeio.  Coey absolutely hates him and growls at him
until he, having had enough goes after her.  Since he's only about 1 or
so, and oh, 3-4 lbs heaver than Coey (a senior), I too have to keep
Tully locked behind three stacked babygates covering the doorway between
my studio and the rest of the apt.  I was hoping that this would help
the felines to get used to one another....its been about 5 months
now...and no go.  To make it worse...Tully is prone to urine infections
& crystals and has asthma....ssssooo here's yet ANOTHER foster animal
that will be with me forever.

HA....I really think I must be doing something wrong!  I have friends
who feed their cats and dogs crap (supermarket & Walmart brand
food)....let them come and go outside without supervision....Here I'm
trying to feed my animals human-grade quality foods like Merrik and
EVO...and each one of them has been a special needs critter...heart
conditions, asthma, skin cancer, cancer, brain tumors, cat herpes, ibd,
seizers, pancreitis attacks....hell...I even had a diabetic guinea pig,
a few one-eyed goldfish, AND a pearl scale goldfish-that couldn't
swim....-lived three years...had to be scooped up off the bottom of the
tank to be fed each day, wiggled his way along the bottom, but couldn't
float to save his life!

Anyway..sorry for ranting...I'm glad you and Romeo are doing so well!
Thanks again for the support!  Take care & God Bless.

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Haven't chimed in too often lately but just want to offer
another perspective.  Tamara & I were both looking for someplace for one
of our cats-she for Simms, me for Big Boy.  We touched base with each
other to compare notes & I remember when this all happened.  Being a
total neophyte at this, I so appreciated some of the tips Tamara and
other members of this group gave me.  I remember that what struck me was
how frightening the whole process was.  I sort of had to take stranger's
word that they were going to take care of BB as well as I would have!
In these 'travels' looking for a new home for BB, I ran across some
pretty scary people.  One local guy was the 'collector' for FELV+ cats
that showed up in any rescue/shelter.  He never let anybody come to his
home & simply picked up the cats in various parking lots.  When I talked
to him, he made it clear that he had plenty of cats but would never let
anyone even come to inspect, much less visit.  Now he may have been
wonderful, but who knows??  But everyone raved about what a nice guy he
was-how could responsible rescue/shelter workers recommend him so highly
if they had never been there???

        As far as Rude Ranch, like everyone else, I suspect they are
also overloaded-going to fosters sounds great but it takes a lot of work
to monitor those fosters.  Sadly, my experience with BB search & w. my
Katrina work, has shown that very few agencies/shelters/rescues ever
take a look at their foster--many don't even have a home visit to begin
with-much less a visit after they receive animals.  I know that most
fosters are GREAT situations-but it only takes one poor/marginal one to
ruin it for everybody.  Tamara's heads up to me way back then saved me a
long trip down to Maryland, and more importandly saved me from making
what could have been a bad placement for him...

        Over the last few years, I've looked to this group for so
much-and found that everybody could be open & honest here.  We need to
give each other some clues when something doesn't seem quite right...
So Tamara, thank you from me and from BB  (who by the way is now Romeo
and sprawled out on my bed-so much for rehoming!)

        Chris