  From: Sally Davis
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:53 PM
  Subject: Re: Bart

  Dear Patti

  I am so sorry you had to let Bart go. He trusted you and you did the right
thing. He is now pain free.

  Bless you

  Sally

    Thank you all so very much for your thoughts, concerns and prayers for Bart
and me.
    After I sent that post about my feral friend, (around 3:00 AM, EST ), I DID
go out to barn & struggled (very hard ) to get him in a large crate and into
secluded area of house.... I hated having to lift him, he was so painful, but I
couldn't stand the thought of him being so sick & inside the barn, no matter
how well I "thought" I had insulated it......

    The sad news is, I did have Bart PTS.  I was with him when he crossed the
bridge, able to snuggle & kiss him.....  How strange is that???  He was
certainly,well probably, the most feral cat I ever came across in all my
years....  And, very, very savvy.  Never could trap him over the past two
years. (I even got info. from Nina on an alternative method.....)
    I honestly "believe" that because I had earned their trust, Charity "led"
me to him in the blizzard.... She knew he needed help, so she turned to me.
Even when I had my Rottie (who does like cats, just freaked over a "strange"
one in her territory), out on leash...... The way Ladybug re-acted scared the
bejesus out of me, but Charity would not give up......When I look back, I am so
very thankful that none of us got hurt - (me - falling, Bug [born deaf],
getting off leash & Charity not being challenged by my very large, very
territorial, Rottie).  I am also very thankful I was "allowed" to get both
Charity & Bart into my care.........

    At the vets this AM, Bart was so good...... Scared, of course, but he kept
looking at me and I just "knew"....
    He had an abdomen so very full of fluid.  Unbelievable.  The vet did pull
out alot, but I finally asked him to stop.  Besides the fluid in his belly,
Bart's gums were almost white.....NOT a good sign.  And, he had quite a few
abscessed teeth, and was already "missing" quite a few......
    His "vision" was also questionable......
    My poor boy was also in so much pain. He "wanted" to lay down, but just
couldn't on that cold, stainless steel table.   Broke my heart......
    Had a conversation w/ vet about the "possibilities" of Bart
recovering....... He explained that although it was almost a textbook case of
"wet FIP" (which would mean regular draining), he also was most assuredly very
anemic.  Epogen, transfusions..... Also, he "explained" it "could be",
lymphosarcoma, cardio-vascular, liver, kidneys - I'm sure you all get the
picture.  His prognosis was very poor, with NO guarantees.
    I just remembered the promise I have made to ALL my babies, so I made the
dreaded decision......
    My dear vet gave him a tranquilizer prior to the euthanasia solution, and
Bart just seemed to pass peacefully, as I stroked him & kissed his (big "ole)
head......
    Not a good day...... I HATE having to "play God"......!!!!
    And, you know, it hurts me just as much when it's a feral/stray......
    Just absolutely heartbreaking.  No other words can explain it.......
    Well, it's feeding time at Patti's Zoo, and the rest of my charges are
counting on me.  Can't let them down.  I'm all they have,,,,,,,  And, they are
my world.
    As soon as I am done, I will e-mail Belinda to add Bart to next CLS.
    I will also "try" to e-mail those of you who I have corresponded with off
list.  Just, please forgive me if I don't get to it tonight....
    You are the most wonderful, supportive, loving group of folks out
there...... I am very thankful to be a part of this group.  Really.
    Hugs,

    (A Very Sad) Patti & her clan

  --
  Junior needs your help with his care fighting Feline Leukemia. Our story
www.geocities.com/dmyllas/sally_page.html

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business=puttyrat%40k6az.com