excellent suggestions.

more and more high-schools are requiring community service before
graduation, and far more kids would like to help animals than
people--a sentiment i can certainly identify with! there's a lot of
things that retirees can do, as well, with skills gained from years of
working the real world.

with teenagers, many sanctuaries/shelters have a 16-years age minimum
age limit for volunteers; others will say 18 in a minimum for
insurance purposes. i've spoken with insurance professionals, tho, who
say that liability insurance really doesn't apply to volunteers but
only to VISITORS--that volunteers are assumed to have taken on any
risks by the act of volunteering....

you can find lots of materials on freecycle lists, too, if you don't
mind wading through lots of posts for things that aren't applicable.
posting what you WANT, however, can work well.

there are at LEAST two yahoogroups that exist solely for
shelters/sanctuaries/rescue to post things that they need/have extras
of to share with others.

any university with a vet school or a vet-tech program is a source of
volunteers; in fact, universities are a good source in general, as a
lot of students really miss their own pets and would love to help out,
even if "only" doing socializing, which is a major need for places
with a lot of kitties.

i was astonished to find out, when i moved to the sanctuary, that i
was the first volunteer they'd ever had who knew how to medicate cats!

i did up a flyer once, asking for "cooks, cleaners and
cuddlers"--people to come in for an hour a day opening the 52 cans of
wet food, scooping it into bowls and adding the lysine, and delivering
it to the rooms; helping with cleaning (the never-ending cleaning--
every little bit helps, and frees the directors of the facilities for
things like vet visits, maintenance, etc), and the all-important
sitting on the floor and just being a cat toy.....

so many people think that "helping out" means taking in another
cat..... it can mean joining a group of people putting labels on the
newsletter, taking photos of the adoptable cats and putting them on
the petfinder site, writing thank-you notes for donations received;
answering emails or phone calls; offering to pick up donations and
delivering them to the shelter/rescue; transporting critters to the
vet, on a leg of their trip to their forever home. it can be going out
every two weeks and taking a spin on the riding lawn mower; it can be
having another group they're with having 50/50 raffles where half the
proceeds go to the rescue; it can be someone lending their fundraising
skills  and helping organize an event; it can be staffing an adoption
event for a few hours; it can be sellling baked goods on a weekend.

if we remind people of all the ways they can help, without adding a
new fur-source to their homes, again, we help us all.

MC