  From: Kelly L
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 8:45 PM
  Subject: Re: False positive and negative?

  At 06:39 PM 3/6/2007, you wrote:

  BOY do you need a new VET....and learn to do fluids at home, we can all help
and there is a pharmacy on line where you can get what you need once you become
comfortable and I CANT IMAGINE a vet with holding treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Congratulations for using your own brain and boy would I be telling that vet
off!!!
  Kelly

    I have seen a lot of you post that your cats posted negative, positive,
negative. Is this common? Do some cats get over it or are the tests errored?

    My beloved Nebs was diagnosed two weeks ago just after his fourth birthday.
I took him to the vet with a very bad case of the runs and no appetite. The
vet, one I had not been to before, told me Nebs was felv positive and would be
dead in a matter of days. He told me his kidneys were huge and the virus had
destroyed them. He recommended that I put him down right away. I couldn't do
it. He was too special and deserved a chance. He told me nothing would help. I
asked him to do what another vet had done for another cat once, an injection of
fluids for dehydration. He gave him that, but refused any medication, saying it
wouldn't do any good. The next day, I begged him for some antibiotics and he
gave me them but told me not to get my hopes up. I gave Nebs the medicine, and
some Pet-tonic. The next day he was eating again. In two days, he was eating
like a hog. In 3 days, his runs were gone.

    It's now been 2 weeks, and instead of being dead as the doctor predicted,
he's practically back to normal! He's gained almost all his weight back and has
his swagger again. His third eyelid, present for almost a year, is also gone.
His stools are more normal than they've been in ages. I am wondering if maybe
he'd had a severe kidney and intestional infection, and when that was cleared
up, he was all right. I don't know if he's really felv positive or not, I'll
get him retested at another vet soon, but even if he has it, his immune system
was not as 'shot' as the vet said it was.

    So my questions are, are the tests sometimes wrong, and can a cat go in and
out of good health while being infected? I had always heard the first sickness
would basically be the last.

    I also want to say, please do not give up on your kitty if the vet says to
put him down, he's going to die. You know your pet better than anyone, and if
you feel he isn't at his end, don't do it. I am so glad I gave Nebs another
chance when the vet didn't.

    The fish are biting.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.