On 3/9/07, Sally Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Debbie,

Where I live outdoor cats are all considered ferals. They don't count them
as part of the household. I found this interesting. A vet told me that. I
have always know we don't own cats they own us. My cats for the most part
have picked me out. The last one literally showed up under my porch. He knew
I would help him and he is now an inside cat.

 I have found with my limited exposure to rescue groups and I would assume
the same with humane societies, the tend to be a bit strongly opinionated if
not even being accusing. I am sure it comes from what they see. They do not
know us at all, but it tends to put one off. I had a bad experience with a
rescue group when I was trying to place a dog that I had not adopted but
my mom did and she gave the dog to me after my dad died. I was not at home
most of the time, I did not have a fenced yard and what this dog required
was attention that I could not give her. Well you would have though I had
committed a crime the way I was treated and no good solutions were offered
other than I should crate her. I know now that it would have helped but was
not the solution. Casey came up with her won solutions. She found a family
with kids who lived nearby. She would go there and play. I later found where
she was going. They offered to keep her for the weekend while I was away.
When I came back I asked if they wanted her and they said yes. It was the
best thing that happend to her.

Sorry it took me a while to respond to this, but I wanted to address it
because I think it is very important.

I think a lot of rescue groups do not understand customer service at all.
They DO tend to be accusatory.  The bad thing is that it is because they
care about animals so much, but they don't understand that they are
off-putting and drive people to buy from breeders or get a "free" pet from
the paper or Internet.

I try to be different.  I don't have a checklist of items people have to
agree to/have in order to adopt a pet from me (God forbid you not have a
fenced yard - really, how DARE you? - sheesh).  I am always polite to people
even when I really don't want to be.  I have a business and I need to
represent it well to the world.

I'm glad Casey found a good new home:)

Kelley

http://www.rescuties.org