Well, it makes sense to me.  Like "corn" is the actual thing that you eat
off the cob, or out of the can, and "corn meal" is the same thing dried and
ground up.  So it makes a lot of sense that "corn" would be heavier in water
weight than "corn meal."  I have no idea if meat is the same way, and just
because a thing makes sense to me doesn't make it right.  But it does make
sense to me!

 saw this, and it's got me to wondering, as I thought "meal" was a way to
get cheap by-products into foods, and not better than meat... opinions?

What does the real difference mean to your pets and you?
Meat
[Chicken & Lamb are 70% water and only 15% protein]
Pet food labels found in grocery and mass marketers like to use Chicken or
Lamb to represent real meat. –(Containing 70% moisture). This leads you the
consumer to believe that their product is meat based. Chicken or lamb meats
are heavier than grains prior to cooking. The moisture contained in the
meats (70%) is reduced by 2/3rds after the cooking process, leaving the
total formula as a grain base food after processing.
vs.
Meal
[Chicken Meal and Lamb Meal are dry and 50% to 65% protein] meat protein!
Canidae Pet foods list Chicken Meal & Turkey meal as the first
ingredients. Chicken, Turkey and Lamb meals are dry and are less than 10%
moisture and contain 50% - 65% meat proteins. In processing the meat meals
do not shrink below the grain weight, producing a true meat based formula
for your carnivores.
AAFCO label rules require that, the heaviest to the lightest ingredients
be the order on the guaranteed analysis panel, (with or without water
content).

Phaewryn

http://ucat.us/domesticcatlinks.html
Special Needs Cat Resources