Thanks for the update.  Love and prayers for you and Slinky.

elizabeth

On 3/18/07, Marissa Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all!!!  Just wanted to give you all the latest update.  I brought
Slinky home this afternoon!!!!  The doctor called me this morning and said
he was doing great and could go home.  I stopped and saw him on my way to
church and he was wanting to jump out of his cage and go home.  :)

I went back this afternoon and they said his temp is normal (101 - was 102
when I went in the morning), his BP, respirations, heart rate, etc. were all
normal.  He even ate quite a bit of his dry food after I left in the
morning.  He was alert and looking around.  His gums are still pale but
they're definitely pinker!

When we got home I took him out of his carrier...and watched my baby boy
run across the living room floor, jump up on the couch, and perch on the
window sill!!!  :)  Considering that I wasn't sure I'd even get to bring him
home, I just about burst into tears!

The bill was actually pretty close to the estimate and they're going to
have me continue his clavamox and baytril and give him sub-q fluids if I
need them.  My friend who's a vet tech will be here tonight to help me take
care of him and keep an eye on him for the week.  We have a follow-up
appointment Thursday night to run another CBC and see where we stand.

Throughout all of it, the hospital was absolutely amazing!  I called 2-3
times last night for updates and they were great about getting them to me.
They actually THANKED me for the opportunity to work with him and told me
what a wonderful cat he is.  :)

Now for the not-so-happy news.  He was really alert and energetic for a
while...but I noticed he was starting to feel warm again.  I took his temp
and it got to 104 and then he moved and it came out and he wouldn't let me
get it in again.  :(  I called the hospital to make sure I was supposed to
give him his abx tonight (wanted to make sure I wasn't overdosing him after
he'd been on IV abx).  The doctor said to give him the abx and go ahead with
sub-q fluids...but also said that she's concerned about his ability to
regenerate and that she thinks I've done all I can for him...and it may be
that if he's eating and alert that's a good day for him.

We gave him the clavamox, baytril, some C and L-Lysine, and Hi-Vite and
then started the sub-q's.  Took the temp after the fluids were done and it
was 104.4.  I'm hoping it will go down by the time the fluid absorbs.
He's seeming a bit more lethargic and sleepy now.  I hate to keep poking and
prodding him...it has to be frustrating for him!

I'm feeling a bit discouraged...everything seemed to be going so well when
I picked him up!  But my friend (the vet tech) is saying that his body needs
time to adjust to the new blood.  I'm hoping that's what's happening...and
not that his body is killing the new blood cells.  Please keep up the
prayers and good thoughts!  I know we've done everything we can...but I
really want this to work!  I got my baby back for a few hours...and I want
more!

Thanks again for all your support and love.  I'll send more info when I
have it.

MJ

with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.