I agree. People should be informed. If they recoil even after you tell them the
cat is negative and probably will never turn positive, then what would they do
if the cat gets sick with something else?

  I don't know about other states, but in GA rescues are regulated by the Dept
of Agriculture. We have to maintain records on every cat entering or leaving
the shelter - Where they came from - signed surrender forms or forms from AC -
testing dates, where the tests were done and the results, shot records with
vaccine vile labels, dewormings, proof of spay/neuter by sexual maturity.

  If cats test positive we have to quarenteen them or put in a foster home.

  These things are all put in the records for the adopter.

  If that cat ended up testing positive and started looking through records and
saw the sibling was positive, the shelter could be shut down.

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Answering what I would do in my personal circumstances and answering
what I might do if I were part of an organized rescue might yield
different answers... First, let me say, from my personal experience of
having a healthy neg kitten from a felv litter, (he's now 3yrs and has
never been sick); having mixed for years without a single neg turning
pos; from the extensive reports of the same from the members of this
list, I'd be fairly confident that this kitten would not turn up pos
someday. That said, I would still disclose his history to any potential
adopters, (along with a brief education about felv, suggestions about
re-testing and to be watchful for any signs of illness). I understand
the logic of placing as many animals as possible, about how any home is
better than the alternative of life on the street, or being killed in a
shelter, but I get far too attached to my charges to not do everything
in my power to insure they will be safe and happy in their new homes. I
would just consider it as part of making sure that the potential home
and the kitten are a good match. Each animal is an individual to me,
not just a statistic. This little fellow is even more special because
he has beaten the odds of an early death and he has found himself in the
hands of someone that cares enough to give him a chance at a full life.
I would plan on telling his potential adopters his full history and have
faith that this little guy would continue to be blessed in finding a
forever home with someone that would appreciate how very special he is.
I have a feeling that there is someone out there that would recognize
how blessed they are to have him.
Nina

JENI RECA wrote:
> Hi,
> I was discussing feluk and feluk exposed cats and someone asked me
> this question and what would I do, I still am thinking of the answer,
> and was curious what other people would answer;
>
> question: feluk exposed cat 6 months, that was neg on ifa and elisa,
> but liter mate was postive on both tests, and then seperated, after
> being together for 6 months. would you feel that it was ethical to
> place the cat up for adoption with no mention of the cat being feluk
> exposed or do you feel it is your ethical duty to let the adopter
> know that it was exposed to feluk....(also take into consideration
> that the cat might be up for adoption a long time, since a lot of
> people shy away from feluk)
> and
> also if placing with a rescue, telling or not and also if telling they
> wouldn't take the cat?
>
> I was curious what other people would do...
> Thanks
> Jeni

> Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
> http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07