Melissa -

  There is not need to put her down. If your cats are vaccinated, she can live
quite happily with your cats. I have mixed as many as 5 FeLV cats with 5
negative cats. One of my FeLV negative cats is FIV+. I mixed my cats for years.
None of the negative cats ever got FeLV, and some were tested as much as 2
years after the FeLV cats were gone. I currently have 1 FeLV cat that is in
with another cat of mine. I mix cats on the advice of my previous vet.

  There are others on this list that mix as well.

  I would advise not to vaccinate if possible. Especially for Distemper. Do
bloodwork before having her spayed to make sure she is healthy enough.

  She will bring you a great appreciation for these cats and for life.

  Beth

Melissa Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
                Hello All,

  I’m new to this, so bear with me. Here’s my situation:

  I live in rural Nebraska. Caring people are few and far between here when it
comes to cats. I have just rescued a FeLV positive female. She’s young, so her
chances of survival are not good for the long-term, but she could live a happy
life, however short that may be. However, I have 3 FeLV negative cats in my
home and not a large enough home to have separate areas for the
positive/negative ones. Someday I plan to operate a FeLV shelter, but I just
don’t have the money at this time.

If you have any ideas for me—any place I can take Cassidy (the FeLV cat), I
would greatly appreciate it. I’m willing to drive almost any distance to save
her. She’s at my vet’s office awaiting a decision. I’m contacting as many
shelters as I can, but I really don't want to surrender her to a shelter
because the quality of care in many is questionable, and her chances of
adoption are slim anyway. I’ve posted her description at the adoption site on
felineleukemia.org.

Right now, Cassidy is healthy except for some nerve damage which affects her
right back paw. I’m going to pay for her spay, her shots, etc., (I didn’t
mention that on the adoption site to prevent abuse), but I still need to find a
home for her. Otherwise, I’ll have to put her down, but I just know there has
to be a place that can save her.

Let me know if you have any options or advice for me.

Thank you very much for your time and your compassion!

  Melissa

It's here! Your new message!