Hey Melissa,

Imagine...meeting a fellow English teacher and cat
lover here...lol.  I think books and cats just go
together.

You are using this mailing list perfectly.  This is
what we are here for.  And imo, it's the best place to
be for FeLV info.  And we're so glad that you aren't
going to euthanize Cassidy.  You will not regret it.
You are right to be weary of mixing your youngest with
Cassidy.  Kittens are more susceptible, we think, but
are not sure.  Their immune systems are not fully
developed.  Your vet sounds like he knows what he's
doing.  He is right about the sarcoma.  Of course,
sarcoma's can be associated with all sorts of
vaccinations, not just FeLV.  That's why we recommend
using a back leg for the vaccinations, alternating
legs between vaccinations.  If a sarcoma does happen,
the leg can be removed, and kitty can still live a
long life, albeit a bit wobbly at first.  Sarcomas in
the neck are much less treatable.  Most of us here do
not vaccinate our inside cats either, unless they mix,
and then some do and some don't.

Good luck finding Ashley a home.  You sound like a cat
magnet.  lol.  I'm sure your husband just loves that
about you.  My husband wasn't really a cat person, but
after meeting me, he's warmed up quite a bit.  He
still loves his dogs best though.  If he had his way,
we'd have a backyard full of every breed of dog
imaginable to man.

I think it's wonderful you are going to make up a
handout for FeLV for your vet.  I'm going to talk to
my vet about doing the same thing.  And possibly other
vets around here who I know.  And I think it's
wonderful you are going to do the tnr project with him
this summer.  Again, he sounds like a FANTASTIC vet.
If only they all were that knowledgeable and open to
suggestions.

Yes, we would love to be updated on Cassidy.  I just
know this is going to turn out great for her with you
in her corner.

:)
Wendy
Dallas, Tx
(currently reading the Janet Evanovich series with
Miss Stephanie Plum; great series)

world: Indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"

      ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html